3 Way Light Switch turning one light on and another off from same switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I installed a new 3 way switch and intially had it working on all 3 switches after just doing a switch by switch cross over of the cables. I then snapped a screw in the backing box which meant draggging all the wires out. Although I tried to group them I have been unable to rewire correctly as now one switch (middle) does nothing and the right switch turns one hallway light off and another on and vice versa. The left most switch is just an single on off and works fine. It seems from my limited knowledge I mayhave miss wired the traveller cable but I can’t figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't you mean 3 gang rather than 3 way?

I am not an electrician, but when face with similar problems I have turned the power off and used a multi-meter to test continuity between each ceiling rose and the switch (to determine which wire is which). I then refer to the web for images showing me how 2 way, or 3 way lighting works.

I don't have super long leads for my multi-meter so I use lengths of telephone cable to extend the connections between the multi-meter and ceiling rose.

That faceplate need an earth terminated to the lug

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back