A religion history lesson needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As we all know, Jesus was a great bloke, wandering round doing really good things, but I don't remember him saying 'what we're gonna do is set up a big ol' HQ in Italy n call it the Vatican'........so how did that happen?

Sponsored Links
The Romans conquered Galilee, which is supposedly where the early Christian Church was thriving. As with all conquests, it tends to work better if you work with a few of the locals and accept some of the practices. Its not to much of a stretch to see how one of the local Church leaders then ended up in the capital of the Roman Empire.

As we all know, Jesus was a great bloke, wandering round doing really good things, but I don't remember him saying 'what we're gonna do is set up a big ol' HQ in Italy n call it the Vatican'........so how did that happen?
If Jesus was a Jew why did he have a Spanish name.

Sponsored Links
The Roman government formed a quango to decide what should be in the Christian bible, and then aggressively marketed it throughout Europe. They did it in an attempt to maintain control over a increasingly fragmented empire - control what the people think and you can control the people - and it worked, for a bit.

Think of it as a bit like UKIP. It came from an existing organisation (rich Tories) but took a new, radical viewpoint to further the political and financial gains (Brexit will make a lot of people rich!) of those already in control. Afterwards, it just caused a major ****storm that is still causing conflicts 2000 years later.

Most of the laws and rules of the Roman Catholic church have no basis in scripture, they are man made to promote and protect the interests of the church.
The celibacy rule was introduced in the middle ages to protect church assets ,prior to that for the previous 1000 years priests had wives and families ,there were even female priests.
The Protestant reformation was an attempt to take the church back to its original mission, the fact that Henry the 8th promoted the reformation for his own interests is neither here nor there.

I thought old Henry didn't want the Pope telling him what to do (get a divorce). so he invented the Church of England purely for his own benefit.................what a shame that Jesus and all those doing the good work have had most of it corrupted/ manipulated by the religious politicians..........Jesus didn't like the money changers in front of a temple....................bet he'd have a field day in front of the Vatican!!!

The emperor Constantine converted to Christianity. Not for God, but to play to the crowd, keep em onside. Now there is a foothold in Rome- it's where the (Christian) emperor lives. Simples. He manipulated events by calling the Council of Nicea in about 325 AD, and sorted the useful wheat from the chaff re: gospels, rules etc.

I'm not really much of a religious fella, but I like the thought of Jesus, God n living a correct life, but I have no idea who wrote the new testament, why did we need a new one? and who wrote the old one?

The emperor Constantine converted to Christianity. Not for God, but to play to the crowd, keep em onside. Now there is a foothold in Rome- it's where the (Christian) emperor lives. Simples. He manipulated events by calling the Council of Nicea in about 325 AD, and sorted the useful wheat from the chaff re: gospels, rules etc.

Constantine was only converted to Christianity formally (baptised) on his deathbed.
I forget the book that I was reading about this in, but their interpretation was that he was "hedging his bets" on the afterlife, and his deathbed conversion was a last minute ticket to [heaven].

He manipulated events by calling the Council of Nicea in about 325 AD, and sorted the useful wheat from the chaff re: gospels, rules etc.

If he had e-mailed, instead of calling, there would be written evidence and we would know exactly what happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back