Eating in the 50s

These days, if someone invites you to dip your straw in their coke, it may mean something a lot less innocent. :whistle:

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure if these were around in the fifties (I'm WAYYYY too young), but I remember buying them for my mother's birthday every year as a kid (and eating most of them myself). I saw this piccy the other day which brought back memories. Mmmmm, I'll have the lime one...and the orange jelly...and the raisin fudge...and the lemon slice!!

View attachment 87128
I'm not sure when those were first around either, but I certainly remember my grandparents buying them regularly during the 1970's, which looks to be the era of that ad.

And yes, I remember the Fry's creams with the different flavors in one bar too around the same time, although my memory is now a little hazy on what all those flavors were.

Suck on coal ? We had to suck on coke, and glue coaldust to old newspaper with flour and water paste then make it into coal shaped lumps for the fire. Collect cat turds from t'garden , dry them in sun and burn them too.

Sponsored Links
When I were a lad if it was cold we would sit around a candle. If it got really, really cold me dad would light the candle.

What about paraffin heaters............coal in the lounge fire, paraffin heater in the kitchen with the washing hanging from the ceiling above on 'pulleys'............Boom boom boom boom Esso Blue!!!

Suck on coal ? We had to suck on coke, and glue coaldust to old newspaper with flour and water paste then make it into coal shaped lumps for the fire. Collect cat turds from t'garden , dry them in sun and burn them too.

Sun?

Sun??

We didn't 'ave t'sun, laddie!

We 'ad to mek do wi'out!

Weekend was around in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Rowntree's made cream eggs too (not crème eggs). 6d they were.

What about paraffin heaters............coal in the lounge fire, paraffin heater in the kitchen with the washing hanging from the ceiling above on 'pulleys'............Boom boom boom boom Esso Blue!!!
Yes, we had one of those (really), one with a hemispherical flame holder on top (inside), if I recall. They seemed to give out a reasonable amount of heat (if I remember correctly) and were quite cheap to run.

Then they were in contravention of the trades description act, as they were not made from cream!

I remember Weekend chocolates too. Horrible things, especially those soft jelly things. :sick:

Spangles.png

Memories...

Then they were in contravention of the trades description act, as they were not made from cream!

Did it cover things like that back then?

Talking of trades descriptions........

Go into most cafés and many have toast & butter listed on the board. If you have a butty made up, they usually ask if you want the bread buttered.

But is it butter? No.

Surely that is contravention of the TDA?

Sponsored Links
Back