Eating in the 50s

Sponsored Links
Interesting site here, http://www.woolworthsmuseum.co.uk/InflationSum.html.
The page I've linked to shows the relative value of sixpence (6d) over the years, but the whole site is interesting.
Yes. Interesting. What my tanner was worth when ah were a lad (10 new pence) would be worth over £2 today.
So my parents were more generous than I gave them credit for!

Another quite interesting thought is that the half penny coin brought in with decimalisation in 1971, had approximately the same "real" value as a 10p coin does now.
Which makes the "copper" 1p and 2p coins pretty well worthless today.

Sponsored Links
Another quite interesting thought is that the half penny coin brought in with decimalisation in 1971, had approximately the same "real" value as a 10p coin does now.
Which makes the "copper" 1p and 2p coins pretty well worthless today.
I think I read somewhere that someone proposed that we get rid of our coppers as they're worth so little these days.
So all the adverts for £10.99 will have to be changed to £10.95... or the far more sensible £11.
I've never understood who they're trying to fool with these £0.99 prices.

I think I read somewhere that someone proposed that we get rid of our coppers as they're worth so little these days.
That was Osborne.
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/aug/31/police-force-new-spending-cuts-22000-jobs
Looking at that, they've got a funny salute; neither a military salute nor a naval salute.
In fact, it looks like they're effectively covering one eye with their hand.

Ah, I understand. They're showing that they're willing to turn a blind eye to certain people's misdemeanors!

We used to dream of having oxygen.

Well, we had to work down the pit, where even looking the wrong way at the coal was reason for dismissal. As for the grass, that had to be kept for the pit ponies so we were lucky to get any of the dried dust at the bottom of their nosebags. Even the canaries had the first dibs on the oxygen. Times were tough back then and I sometimes wonder how we survived!!

Remember going out for a drink in the 50s?

TeensSoda50s.png

Sponsored Links
Back