Eating in the 50s

Spangles.png

Memories...
I have a vague memory of being able to buy those from a vending machine outside one local sweetshop, along with the usual chewing gum.

What about paraffin heaters............coal in the lounge fire, paraffin heater in the kitchen with the washing hanging from the ceiling above on 'pulleys'............Boom boom boom boom Esso Blue!!!
Yes, we had one of those (really), one with a hemispherical flame holder on top (inside), if I recall. They seemed to give out a reasonable amount of heat (if I remember correctly) and were quite cheap to run.
Yes, we had something similar. It was a brown and cream metal "cube" roughly, with the heater "element" behind a wire guard inset in the cube. We used to have "Aladdin Pink Paraffin" delivered.

Sponsored Links
Happy were the days when you could but packets of ciggies from vending machines on streets outside shops, collect the vouchers and cash them in for things.

Sponsored Links
Happy were the days when you could but packets of ciggies from vending machines on streets outside shops, collect the vouchers and cash them in for things.
I had forgotten all about those. I have hated smoking since I was a little kid but still loved to count up all of my dad's Embassy Coupons!

10210.JPG
We used to collect those when we smoked. Haven't smoked for nearly 30 years now.
Green shield stamps as well.

Still got some spanners my mum bought with Green Shield stamps!
Remember the fag advert (I think it was for Peter Styvesant) ......a picture of a 4 ringer Captains sleeve with the caption 'when you know what you are doing' :eek:
John :)
Edit.....maybe it was Rothmans?

Last edited:
Yes I think that was Rothmans.
Like Marlboro with the "Marlboro Man"
We all smoked those for a while in the 70s because they looked cool. . .

Yes I think that was Rothmans.
Like Marlboro with the "Marlboro Man"
We all smoked those for a while in the 70s because they looked cool. . .

Never took to Marlboro. If the F1 Lotus was in JPS livery, it had to be JPS smokes.

Or even a JPS Capri. :cool::cool:

A lovely looking car in retrospect. I wish car manufacturers were more adventurous these days.
What happened to 'pinstriping?'

I guess smokers today are feeling the outsiders...like non-smokers did in yesteryear.

Sponsored Links
Back