A religion history lesson needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
the new testament, why did we need a new one? and who wrote the old one?
The Old Testament was transcribed from centuries of stories passed down from generation to generation, but the process of writing it down did not occur until about 600 BC.
It was (and is) the basis for Judaism.
Very few ancient languages had the ability to, or bothered to record history. Hebrew was one of them, but not until, as said above, until about 600 BC. So the Old Testament was a kind of 'ghost authors' construction based on verbal stories, fragments of old parchment, and archaeological remains passed down through generations. (Anyone collecting paper records or items will be aware of the problems of proper storage of such materials. Although parchment is far more durable than paper. By the middle ages, parchment could be made that would last a thousand years.)
Ghost authors write books, then another author, more famous, publish it under their name.

The New Testament, the basis for Christianity, gives the impression that it was a record of history as it happened, but that is not the case, it was written decades after the supposed events, again based on folklore and hearsay.
The only actual written, historical text, and the earliest, is the Epistles which are based on St Paul's letters to various Christian groups, about 50 - 60 AD, and the Acts of the Apostles (about 75 - 90 AD) is first hand work, written by Luke.

By about 2nd - 4th century it became increasingly obvious that the various groups and versions of the 'scriptures' contained different and sometimes contradictory passages.
Only then was the New Testament formed and decided what it would contain.
Even then, successive translations, copying and re-copying introduced various errors and various interpretations.

Even now, depending on which version of Christianity you follow, the Bible will contain different 'books'.

Sponsored Links
The only actual written, historical text, and the earliest, is the Epistles which are based on St Paul's letters to various Christian groups, about 50 - 60 AD

It's worth remembering that St. Paul never met Jesus.

It's as historical as if I wrote a biography of General Montgomery based on stories I'd heard from old soldiers reminiscing in the pub.

Indeed, Saul, as he was known before his conversion to Christianity, about 30 AD, was a zealous Judaist who persecuted the new breed of Christians. He even participated in the stoning to death of one of them.
He did claim to have met Jesus after his resurrection, as the last person to have seen Jesus.
His letters to the various groups could be likened to the behaviour of a reformed smoker.
Remembering that he was a zealot in one religion, after his 'conversion' he was still a zealot but in a different religion.
His epiphany can easily be explained by a stroke: he experienced blinding light (his companions never saw anything), falling to the ground, followed by blindness, and later recovering.

Sponsored Links
Whilst watching a documentary recently, I learned that Hasidic jews aren't allowed to fart whilst wearing a hat. What a fantastic religion! I'm surprised more people haven't joined that one.

A couple of years ago we had a tour of Israel, I am not religious but I found it totally fascinating, our guide was a former commando and secular jew who gave a well balanced view on the history and current state of Israel

A mate of mine and his pals did a tour of Israel and while in Jerusalem visited the supposed birthplace of the virgin Mary. It was a fair old walk up to the place leaving the group quite knackered, and one lad commenting on the long trek said no wonder she was a f***ing virgin.

It's as historical as if I wrote a biography of General Montgomery based on stories I'd heard from old soldiers reminiscing in the pub.

its possible paul ,may have met Jesus while he walked on earth, but scripture does not say, , but he certainly met him on the road to Damascus. Edit (after the resurrection of Christ)
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-and-Paul.html

its possible paul ,may have met Jesus while he walked on earth, but scripture does not say, , but he certainly met him on the road to Damascus. Edit (after the resurrection of Christ)
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-and-Paul.html
In which case, Jesus, after his crucifixion and subsequent resurrection, was around for about another 30 years.

Although, 'meeting him', compared to hearing and talking to, is a completely different kettle of fish.
There are a few on here who imagine someone has said something, but it is a figment of their imagination.
Nevertheless, they construct an argument based on this imagined comment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back