access to a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Half of our living room has a room above it and the rest is covered
by a gently sloping roof (1 floor storey basically for half the living room).
Next to the living room there is a kitchen and above that a room.
Basically you cannot get access to the roofed bit without lifting the tiles.

I was wondering how could a spark rewire the section of living room
which has a roof above it. Does he need to remove the roof above or go through the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Depending on what sockets / lights / appliences are needed in that area will depend how you get thier...

Easiest way is to use horizontals from accessable sockets.... lighting could be a different story tho..... It sounds like one of them jobs you have to look at, and decide best plan of action from site.

Good lucj with it Btw.... dont forget to let us know what you decide....

it's a case of fishing and making good..

you drill a hole big enough to get your hand up into the roof void..

then a hole through from the 1st floor void in the room above, into the roof space.. then use rods to push through into the roof void and have a feel in the hole to find the rods.. then pull the cable through..

that's of course going on the asumption that the "gently sloping roof" meets the house above the 1st floor floor void..

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice.

will discuss with elec on wed.

i have decided that if we cannot get the void sorted i'll only have one light in the middle of the living room.

I hope we can keep the socket which is under the extension with roof but from you guys have said a horizontal could sort it.

The above i hope would be cheaper than ripping the roof off in January...

will keep you posted.

I did a rewire quote for someone who had parquet (spelling??) flooring upstairs and tounge and groove on the some of the downstairs ceilings. Told him it was either rip the floor up or pull the ceiling down (I think that it added £1000 to the quote) --- never did hear from him!!

They lay floor tiles in the bathroom then want pipes/cables renewing but without damaging tiles or ceiling underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back