Add an extra socket in stud wall?

Sponsored Links
I dont know about "simpler", but usually/often more expensive than FCUs (with DP switches)! ... and, as has been said, don't offer the same option as do FCUs to add additional sockets in the future.

Kind Regards, John

Why would anyone add additional sockets to a washing machine spur?

Sponsored Links
If you have any imagination or powers of thought, you ought to be able to think of at least a few possible reasons.

Kind Regards, John

That is not the sort of reply I expect from you John. More a BAS type reply.

The socket for the light could be spurred off the existing double socket next to the (unnecessary FCU).

There is no requirement for the FCU, there no requirement for isolation for the WM other than its existing plug and socket. Isolation is only required for service when the WM has to pulled out anyway.

That is not the sort of reply I expect from you John. More a BAS type reply.

The socket for the light could be spurred off the existing double socket next to the (unnecessary FCU).

There is no requirement for the FCU, there no requirement for isolation for the WM other than its existing plug and socket. Isolation is only required for service when the WM has to pulled out anyway.

It is desirable to be able to isolate the appliance whenever one wants to. I always isolate my washing machine when not in use, because I choose to.

There is no problem whatsoever having two fuses for the washing machine. What problems do you envisage?

And as John has hinted, having a switched FCU does allow one to spur off the washing machine socket if there was no other easy way to add an extra socket (small appliances to be plugged into).

It is desirable to be able to isolate the appliance whenever one wants to. I always isolate my washing machine when not in use, because I choose to.

There is no problem whatsoever having two fuses for the washing machine. What problems do you envisage?

And as John has hinted, having a switched FCU does allow one to spur off the washing machine socket if there was no other easy way to add an extra socket (small appliances to be plugged into).

A plug and socket is the best isolator, above the counter if you must, bus there is no need to isolate when not in use.

With 2 fuses you have 2 to replace when there is a fault.

There was an easy way to spur. Off the existing double socket.

That is not the sort of reply I expect from you John. More a BAS type reply
Maybe, but it was a response to a question which itself was BAS-like - since you knew jolly well some of the reasons why people might want to add sockets, even if you personally would not regard them (in your opinion) as being 'good reasons'.

As I said, that is rather BAS-like - if you want to express an opinion, just express it, rather than posing some semi-cryptic or semi-rhetorical question.

Kind Regards, John

With 2 fuses you have 2 to replace when there is a fault.

It's been my experience, taking the average over all my appliances, that they blow a fuse 0.0000 times per year on average.

If one ever does, the appliance will most likely have to be pulled out from the wall to repair it or lob it in the skip.

IME the inconvenience of having two fuses protecting one appliance is zero.

It's been my experience, taking the average over all my appliances, that they blow a fuse 0.0000 times per year on average. .... If one ever does, the appliance will most likely have to be pulled out from the wall to repair it or lob it in the skip. .... IME the inconvenience of having two fuses protecting one appliance is zero.
Similar to my experiences. In any event, if there is no FCU, then the only fuse will probably be behind the appliance (in a plug), anyway.

Kind Regards, John

There was an easy way to spur. Off the existing double socket.

Don't forget the nogging that the OP thinks he has, which, being a kitchen wall, could well be at just below worktop height. (i.e not possible to angle a drill bit down to hit it.)

Below the FCU however, there should already be a hole in the nogging for the washing machine cable, so a spur from the supply side of the FCU threaded down with the WM cable could be a good solution to avoid any making good of walls.

Gaz :)

It was implied when he said he could wire it from the switch.

I take it you are not a sparks if you don't understand that!

Stop being a ****, AESMITH said a MORE complex way, taking the feed from a switch with a neutral may be complex to you.

The existing switch drop cable can often be used to pull a further cable down the partition from upstairs and down to the new socket if needbe.

Similar to my experiences. In any event, if there is no FCU, then the only fuse will probably be behind the appliance (in a plug), anyway.

Kind Regards, John

Or in this case under the adjacent cupboard. But either way if the fuse goes the machine will need to be pulled out to find out why.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back