Add an extra socket in stud wall?

Below the FCU however, there should already be a hole in the nogging for the washing machine cable, so a spur from the supply side of the FCU threaded down with the WM cable could be a good solution to avoid any making good of walls.

Gaz :)

The same spur using the same route could also come off the adjacent double socket.

Sponsored Links
Or in this case under the adjacent cupboard. But either way if the fuse goes the machine will need to be pulled out to find out why.
Quite - so, again, although not necessary, the fuse in an FCU would not really represent a measurable inconvenience. In fact, in half a century or whatever of living with them, I can't actually recall a kitchen appliance ever having blown a BS1362 fuse, in any location, so it certainly has not been a 'daily occurrence' for me!

Kind Regards, John

At home I have a switched FCU controlling a single socket for the washing machine.

There was a fault with the machine and it blew a fuse.

It was the fuse in the plug, the fuse in the FCU remained intact.

There was no hardship about the fuses; it wouldn't have mattered if both fuses had blown.

It would have been more convenient if just the fuse in the FCU had blown I suppose.

At no point did I think what a waste of a fuse it was having two.

At no point did I regret having two fuses.

Ok.

So I've drawn a diagram of how I think/hope it's wired .

20171021_082839.jpg

I'm going to cut the hole for the socket half way between the switches in the kitchen on opposite wall at the bottom. Hopefully I will find the ring circuit and enough free cable to fit a new socket.

If it doesn't work out at all I can always blank it off and get a pro to try fit it later.

Sponsored Links
That is not the sort of reply I expect from you John. More a BAS type reply.
Obviously I am not the only one who doesn't appreciate your deliberate obtuseness. What John said was perfectly correct.

The socket for the light could be spurred off the existing double socket next to the (unnecessary FCU).
It could.

But he might want it lower down, and if there are noggins in the way then going through the wall at a lower level could be a lot easier.

There is no requirement for the FCU, there no requirement for isolation for the WM other than its existing plug and socket. Isolation is only required for service when the WM has to pulled out anyway.
Please stop conflating "no requirement" and "should not have" - it's dumb, and of no help to anybody.

Excellent work!:Dalways a relief when you take a chance and everything goes well!

I couldn't find it at first was ready to install the blank lol. But eventually found it to the left of the hole I had cut and plenty cable to play with.

1508586624355622441168.jpg
Just a wee tidy up round the edges and the OH with be happy.

Cheers for all the advice.

How did you confirm it was actually part of the ring, rather than part of a spur?

did you use a padsaw, i find that happens, i think the teeth are to course, maybe they make a finer one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back