Another driving moan thread ...

The worse for me seems to be use of the horn, cars wait until along side you on your bike, then blow their horn, which causes one to jump as so sudden and loud, and can cause me to hit curb or car. Daft twits, don't seem to realise when your not inside an insulating box how loud their horns are.

Sponsored Links
The worse for me seems to be use of the horn, cars wait until along side you on your bike, then blow their horn, which causes one to jump as so sudden and loud, and can cause me to hit curb or car. Daft twits, don't seem to realise when your not inside an insulating box how loud their horns are.
Too many idiots use their cars as weapons. They should be banned and when the ban is finished they should only be allowed to drive a 1 litre car with a black box fitted to monitor their driving.

I agree and sounds like the average car driver who hates cyclists so much they actually believe its funny to physically injure them.
The guy sounds like hes got psychological issues
Indeed, it was a very disturbing and chilling post, could we be discussing killing or seriously injuring a stranger because they were riding a bike too fast. Sadly it does not surprise me at all and is probably more common that I would like to believe. People do use their cars as weapons.

Of course I don't actually overtake, however since not required to have a speedometer not sure what the law would do, think called peddling furiously, but since free wheeling not sure how that would work.

I can see where past schools etc there should be a 20 MPH speed limit, but what has happened in North Wales is simply daft, no reason for the 20 MPH limit, and car drivers have a problem as the speedo does not need to be accurate at that speed, and the cruse controls etc, will not work at 20 MPH and to travel on near empty roads for miles in a straight line at 20 MPH is very boring and one ends up not paying attention.

Also there are reports the experiment has been abandoned, so some obey the limit other don't so it is a bit of a free for all.

The rules were to have less than 30 MPH on a permanent basic you need traffic carming, and Flintshire not wanting to erect the carming measures erected signs with 20 in red and circle in black as advisory signs, over the years these have faded, and since they are unofficial there is no end of speed limit, so no one has a clue which you need to obey.
Providing your e-bike complies with the standards, it is classed as an electrically assisted bicycle and therefore is not a mechanically propelled vehicle for the definition of the road traffic act (s71 etc). Bicycles are exempt from the speed limits defined in the road traffic act. There has been some attempt to impose speed limits on bicycles using national parks legislation and other bylaws. But while they have had success in magistrates courts (with a guilty plea), they have not been properly testing in law. A magistrate does not have the power to reject a guilty plea from a person who is competent to plead, even if he/she thinks the law is on dodgy ground. If would require the accused to argue that point first.

With regard to "pedalling furiously" you maybe referring to the old law of "furious driving" Sec 35 Offences against the person act 1861 https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/section/35. Its origin was to stop the well to do, charging their horses at the peasants who were trespassing. It does require there to be an injury to stick. Simply pedalling like a nutter and going very fast on the highway is not enough.

Then of course you have the type approval for all the speed measuring devices that don't really work on bikes.

Sponsored Links
So it was road rage

You really should not be driving.
You're trolling.
It wasn't rage, it's what people DO, when just a little tetchy.. Never been or seen anyone brake-tested? Never seen anyone not "let in" when they tried to undertake on a motorway?
The point is that it happens, because people are human.
The point is about the danger to the vulnerable people on bikes as a result of their annoying behaviour.

Whether you think I should be driving or not is utterly irrelevant, a completely silly comment.

I agree and sounds like the average car driver who hates cyclists so much they actually believe its funny to physically injure them.
The guy sounds like hes got psychological issues
You keep deliberately misquoting to try to make things up.
You obviously don't mind looking stupid.
You must have psychological issues.

If I'm "the average car driver", half are worse than me. I doubt you can understand that.
So if I were you I'd stay off the road, because you just don't get how it works.

You're trolling.
It wasn't rage, it's what people DO, when just a little tetchy.. Never been or seen anyone brake-tested? Never seen anyone not "let in" when they tried to undertake on a motorway?
The point is that it happens, because people are human.
The point is about the danger to the vulnerable people on bikes as a result of their annoying behaviour.

Whether you think I should be driving or not is utterly irrelevant, a completely silly comment.

not trolling at all, just addressing what you wrote
One day I overtook him at about 35, just a bit more than him, and then braked, like you would if a dog ran out, so there was nowhere for him to pull out to pass a parked box van. I heard a shout and a crash, but he didn't hit me and had vanished from my rear view. Never saw him again.

It sounds to me that in an act of road rage you deliberately caused an accident. And possibly a very very serious accident as you never saw him again. I find your attitude towards others quite disturbing.

I'll just leave this here.

It wasn't brake-checking either, just slowed enough to be a bit difficult, to expose his reckless riding.

Last edited:
It wasn't brake-checking either, just slowed enough to expose his reckless riding.
That's what a brake check is. Hitting the brakes to remind someone behind that they're too close is a brake check.

Standing on the breaks as if a dog had run out is a fairly harsh brake test, not even the still illegal tap on the brakes to get the lights to go on.

Earlier you said that you consider yourself an average driver I believe. You should consider if that's correct.

Last edited:
It sounds to me that in an act of road rage you deliberately caused an accident. And possibly a very very serious accident as you never saw him again. I find your attitude towards others quite disturbing.
No rage involved at all. I was there, you weren't.
You're being a nob , choosing to misquote so you can get a bit of trolling in.

It's good that you find what was a minor adjustment on my part, to be alarming. Because I'm not a nutter and someone is likely to do something similar to you one day. They'll be on their way unaffected and you'll get stuffed up.

Last edited:
That's what a brake check is. Hitting the brakes to remind someone behind that they're too close is a brake check.

Standing on the breaks as of a dog had run out is a fairly harsh brake test, not even the still illegal tap on the brakes to get the lights to go on.

Earlier you said that you consider yourself an average driver I believe. You should consider if that's correct.
Now you're making thing up.
There was no standing on the brakes.
I didn't say anything about braking hard, I said as if a dog ran out - something unexpected. How hard you brake depends how far away it is, doesn't it. I expect you can understand that if you try really hard. It makes you slow down.
You like making straw-man arguments so you did that again.

I just slowed down just enough to make things inconvenient. People similarly slow a bit on a motorway a lot to hold a car to an inner lane, when it's been undertaking and being a nob. Often the driver behind the car which slowed understands, and keeps close to make sure the nob car can't pull out.
I was being a nob - that's what ordinary people do sometimes. I understand that and try to avoid putting myself in a position which would cause me a problem. Cyclists in particular need to understand the same and do the same, not be nobs and put themselves in a dangerous position.

Last edited:
Cyclists do need to ride with the knowledge that there are bad and dangerous drivers out there, and those that think their violation of the rules is correct and reasonable.

Cyclists do need to ride with the knowledge that there are bad and dangerous drivers out there, and those that think their violation of the rules is correct and reasonable.
Yes they do.
Not be oblivious to what reactions they might get if they choose to ride in a stupid way, in particular.
Everybody breaks rules sometimes. Everybody is unreasonable, in the eyes of someone else, sometimes.
You're doing the straw man thing again. I didn't say it was correct or reasonable. I said it happens. Stop being a nob.

Even without that, everyone does things which someone else wasn't expecting, sometimes. There are dogs. If that had caused the slowing and it had killed that particular cyclist, it would have been that cyclist's very own fault. Shock horror.

Then of course you have the type approval for all the speed measuring devices that don't really work on bikes.

Plenty of free apps for a Smart Phone, able to display speed with great accuracy, given a reasonably regular speed of progress.

Sponsored Links
Back