Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Of this chinese virus caper has been detected in the UK

This would be a variant of the recent variant

Suspected to have been brought over from South Africa

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I only heard about the "South African" variant today.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is actually a Welsh variant too, slightly different to the one in SE England.

Sponsored Links
This virus seems quite good at mutating so sooner or later one of the mutations will be beyond the current vaccines - this bolluxs is going to go on for years, it is a horrible thought but at some point we will just have to get back to normal life and let the thing run like wildfire. Probably wipe out about half a percent of us, 330,000 in the UK is a lot of people, but it won't even dent our population growth. It may solve our pension crises - not a good situation for people of my age :(

This virus seems quite good at mutating so sooner or later one of the mutations will be beyond the current vaccines - this bolluxs is going to go on for years, it is a horrible thought but at some point we will just have to get back to normal life and let the thing run like wildfire. Probably wipe out about half a percent of us, 330,000 in the UK is a lot of people, but it won't even dent our population growth. It may solve our pension crises - not a good situation for people of my age :(
I hope that sooner or later one of these "variants" is not going to be resistant to the vaccines?

Actually the virus has been slow to mutate. The South African one is worrying because it seems to cause more severe illness in people without underlying medical conditions.

Actually the virus has been slow to mutate. The South African one is worrying because it seems to cause more severe illness in people without underlying medical conditions.
Yes that is what they have been saying for a while, then all of a sudden this London variant has come on the scene with 22 (?) genetic changes to it, apparently this is a very large and significant jump (?) It all sounds very worrying, and deeply disappointing considering the wonderful news of a vaccine arriving a few weeks ago - I was thinking back to normal next summer.

Yes that is what they have been saying for a while, then all of a sudden this London variant has come on the scene with 22 (?) genetic changes to it, apparently this is a very large and significant jump (?) It all sounds very worrying, and deeply disappointing considering the wonderful news of a vaccine arriving a few weeks ago - I was thinking back to normal next summer.

Listening to Chris Smith, he was saying the Covid virus is very stable and mutations are in the spike.

The vaccines give a high level of immunity, far higher than natural acquired antibodies.

The vaccines are almost certainly going to effective against these spike mutations.

Vaccine roll out estimates range from Matt Hancock who says by spring, other people are talking 2022.

My guess is vaccinations will reach the numbers by Sept 2021 and restrictions will be gone by end of the year.

Jan to say April next year will be as bad or worse than the first lockdown, so hanker down.

I hope all is well up in Scotland :)

What have you heard about it's possible resistance to vaccines?

Listening to Chris Smith, he was saying the Covid virus is very stable and mutations are in the spike. The vaccines give a high level of immunity, far higher than natural acquired antibodies. The vaccines are almost certainly going to effective against these spike mutations. Vaccine roll out estimates range from Matt Hancock who says by spring, other people are talking 2022. My guess is vaccinations will reach the numbers by Sept 2021 and restrictions will be gone by end of the year. Jan to say April next year will be as bad or worse than the first lockdown, so hanker down. I hope all is well up in Scotland :)
I think overall we'll start to see sunlight by the summer

I've not heard much about it. What have you heard about it's possible resistance to vaccines?
I don’t think anyone can say yet, but they are noticing more severe symptoms in those who are typically unaffected by Covid.

I think the bio weapons teams are exploring resistance and potency but that will take some time.

The virus changes as it infects, picking up the DNA of the host. Obviously some variants make it more potent or more infectious or both.

Sponsored Links
Back