Any excuse

I blame it on them getting rid of all the asbestos. Back in the old days, people used to have asbestos in everything, that's why they managed to get into work.

But now, no asbestos, so everyone grinds to a halt :p

I reckon the main reason people are prone to time off during snow nowadays is that we all live so much further away from our places of work - I used to trudge 3 miles through the snow but I'll be bu**ered if I'm going to trudge the 15 miles I would have to in my current location!

Plus, it's much easier to get a day off at short notice nowadays (not for everyone, but in general I mean).

Sponsored Links
When I were a lad, schools never closed! The half pints of milk were frozen, we got on with education. What a sad waste of modern education. Ooh schools shut, all them parents with 4x4's can't get in, to deliver their precious ones? ooh shame! Get a life!

When I were a lad, schools never closed! The half pints of milk were frozen, we got on with education. What a sad waste of modern education. Ooh schools shut, all them parents with 4x4's can't get in, to deliver their precious ones? ooh shame! Get a life!

Which part of the country are your referring to?

Many parts are now knee deep, roads can be cleared but paths not, access on unsalted roads dangerous, most parents would rather have their children at school so they can work to pay the mortgage and Christmas. This snow is the wrong side of Christmas anyway. That's what you should be complaining about not how parents handle their difficulties.
The slowest journey I ever took on snow covered roads was driving behind a driver in a 4x4. Very frustrating with all that technology they still drove it like a hand cart. So, there are exceptions to the rule.

Which begs the question;

How come you weren't at work then? :LOL:

I'm retired. Done my bit, 43 years in industry, of which the first 20 years were hourly paid.(no appearance, no pay) I never failed to make it, even during the 1960s when this sort of weather was the norm for winter, and we used the bus, which always turned up, granted occaisionally late

My school years 1952-1962 were spent in a Victorian building with a coal fire in each class room (behind teachers desk) and nothing else. It was a 5 mile bus trip to school, and as far as I can recall it never closed.

Aye these plump youngsters of today don't know they are born Or are they just more fortunate? Somehow I don't think so. Or am i just a nostalgic old git

Sponsored Links

Which part of the country are your referring to?

Many parts are now knee deep, roads can be cleared but paths not, access on unsalted roads dangerous, most parents would rather have their children at school so they can work to pay the mortgage and Christmas. This snow is the wrong side of Christmas anyway. That's what you should be complaining about not how parents handle their difficulties.
The slowest journey I ever took on snow covered roads was driving behind a driver in a 4x4. Very frustrating with all that technology they still drove it like a hand cart. So, there are exceptions to the rule.

If you take a look at my Avatar, you will see that I am Manchester based, heavy frost this morning, but no snow. What gets me is that the news reported, yes everyone is ready this year, we have extra grit, all sorted. Then schools closed, roads closed, people trapped, cars breaking down due to flat batteries, electricity down. Yawn, same old excuses. Walking in snow isn't dangerous, it's hazardous, if you aren't careful. Why flat batteries, when cars are so reliable thesedays? And why not buy a pair of boots for the snow? So it comes down to PC Heath and Safety? From the football reports it sounds like London is going to get a covering, so endless reports from idiot reporters shivering in salt sheds, non stop. "And we report from xyz, and I can report that the roads are impassable here" - so how did you get there, idiot?

It's good that there is an early snowfall, as that means a long warm summer next year, however the next we will hear is droughts are coming. BORING! The driver of the 4x4 you got behind probably didn't realise that you have to switch on 4x4 mode, as I expect most 4x4 drivers don't. I'm a member of a car club, and many members don't know how to wind up their electric window, or where the cupholders are...so how they passed their test is a mystery. Phew rant over!

As a child, I remember a lake near us quite regularly freezing in winter, and everyone would be walking on it. Likewise regular blankets of deep snow every winter. I have not seen this lake freeze for 20 or so years.

In fact, on snowy day, you could be sure that it was the only day we would be up early to get to school early, to have the big snowball fights. The schools were always open, and in fact we would be told off if we got there late. If a teacher did not make it then classes were joined, or the classes went to the hall to wait for things to be sorted out - none of this "Can't open the school due to teacher shortages" nonsense

I also miss those beautiful frost patterns in the inside of the windows in the morning. Only the rich soft kids had central heating!

I remember older family members etc being laid off regularly in the winter for 3-6 weeks due to bad weather on sites. This was less common when I started on site in the 80's and I've not seen this happen much if at all in subsequent winters.

But the worst thing about winter nowadays is driving - more precisely watching nervously other numpty drivers who have not got a clue and no experience of driving in icy conditions. Everyone seems to use the excuse of "Well, I am sorry but it was icy" when they slide into your car, instead of the more correct reason of "Well I am sorry but I am a ****e driver"

But TBH, all the news items are just plain boring now. Snow? In winter? Well I never.

Im pretty sure i had a valid excuse not to get out to work today!

Right up at the top of lincolnshire wolds.

Im pretty sure i had a valid excuse not to get out to work today!

Right up at the top of lincolnshire wolds.

I'm sorry, but if you used that excuse, and I was your boss, then you would be sacked. How hard it is to scrape off light snow? Light snow is easy to drive on, it's compacted ice you worry about. Fail. What a bad excuse. Although if you don't provide a public service, or can work from home, then what type of service do you provide? That wasn't missed? A very bad excuse to miss work IMO.

I was chatting with my cousin in Scotland on Facepuke earlier. (she's a teacher) She was gloating over the fact that there's no school tomorrow.
I was reminding her of the bad winters we had as children when the schools never closed because of a few flakes of snow. Boilers never broke down. Houses didn't have central heating, and yet the country managed to keep going. She had to agree, that nowadays, minimal snowfall and the country grinds to a halt.
We have all of this marvellous technology at our fingertips and yet a few snowflakes, then everyone is looking for an excuse. ;) ;) ;)

im 49 and not sure if facts dull with age, but i dont remember ever being sent home from school because of snow, we just went, end of,

Agree Kirkgas. When I was at Primary School, no matter how fast the snow was falling, no one left until the bell went at the end of the day. ;) ;) ;)

I'm sorry, but if you used that excuse, and I was your boss, then you would be sacked. How hard it is to scrape off light snow? Light snow is easy to drive on, it's compacted ice you worry about. Fail. What a bad excuse. Although if you don't provide a public service, or can work from home, then what type of service do you provide? That wasn't missed? A very bad excuse to miss work IMO.

If you think you can drive a loaded vauxhall combo through 24" of snow then be my guest. The only vehicles able to move up or down our lane are the 4x4s.

If you think you can drive a loaded vauxhall combo through 24" of snow then be my guest. The only vehicles able to move up or down our lane are the 4x4s.

I don't know what a Vauxhall Combo is, I presume a people carrier? You say that 4x4 gets through, so they lay a track to follow, and you never considered snow tyres, studded tyres, chains. It's law in Germany to use winter tyres in winter. So 24" of snow that has been driven through by several 4x4 is how deep? You're sacked! The snow would be easier to drive through.

I don't know what a Vauxhall Combo is, I presume a people carrier? You say that 4x4 gets through, so they lay a track to follow, and you never considered snow tyres, studded tyres, chains. It's law in Germany to use winter tyres in winter. So 24" of snow that has been driven through by several 4x4 is how deep? You're sacked! The snow would be easier to drive through.

So 24" of snow that has been driven through by several 4x4 is how deep? You're sacked! The snow would be easier to drive through.

Do you mean the snow would be easier to drive through when the 4x4 have made a track?

I would rather drive through 24 inches of fresh snow than follow the tracks of previous vehicles!

I was reminding her of the bad winters we had as children when the schools never closed because of a few flakes of snow. Boilers never broke down. Houses didn't have central heating, and yet the country managed to keep going. She had to agree, that nowadays, minimal snowfall and the country grinds to a halt.
We have all of this marvellous technology at our fingertips and yet a few snowflakes, then everyone is looking for an excuse. :
You are so right M8 :!: People stuck on trains or @ freezing stations - FFS the waiting room fire was always burning - because every few minutes 10 tons of coal would stop @ the station - in the locomotive`s tender :rolleyes: Technology won`t save mankind - it will be our downfall

Sponsored Links
Back