Are 25mm grid modules a standard size - Will TLC's grid modules fit Screwfix's faceplates?

Sponsored Links
Should do, although the plate doesn't mention 'Euro' specifically but the dimension width-wise is correct for 2 modules.

But don't but those cheapo cat6 mods, go for some proper branded ones; Excel, Triax, and the like...

Sponsored Links
Fair enough then... I had a set of identical modules, but Cat5e stamped on them. The wiring order on the back was not the standard order, which caused some confusion. Also a few of them needed a 'wiggle' to get the patch cable to work.

Those are not "grid" modules as most people would understand it.
For Euromodules fittings and plates, as long as they actually are "euromodule" then you can mix and match. I've done that a fair bit with work for installations as I always try and use faceplates to match the rest of the accessories*, but not the vastly overpriced modules the same manufacturer uses (I use the same modules on all jobs, the ones I'm familiar with).

A little snippet of information ...
That RJ45 socket is not a single module width, and the facplate is not a "double" module plate :rolleyes:
A single width Euromodule is 50mm wide and 50mm high. Most sockets etc are 25mm wide - ie one half-module width. And if you want to fit a single socket but only have whole module plates to hand, then you want 2off ¼ module blanks if you want the socket central.
I found this out when I ordered some ½ module blanks and queried why they were the same width as the sockets (25mm), not ½ of that (12.5mm).

* It's something I'm a bit OCD about - I think it looks just really naff when the data sockets look nothing like the rest fo the electrical fittings.

Good news, it all fits fine - Only thing is the CAT 6 module from TLC is a diffrent shade of white than the Telephone module and face plate from screwfix.

I think you get my point when I refer to a single CAT6 module being 25mm wide. A single module in my mind is single connection point to fit into a face plate.

Last edited:
I think you get my point when I refer to a single CAT6 module being 25mm wide. A single module in my mind is single connection point to fit into a face plate.
I agree, but if you find yourself dealing with outlets that properly describe their products, you may come a bit unstuck.
At work we mostly use Connectix modules. That's partly because our procurement guy dealt with them for many years in his last job working for a cabling installation contractor where if there were reliability problems, they install enough for it to show up.

Fair enough then... I had a set of identical modules, but Cat5e stamped on them. The wiring order on the back was not the standard order, which caused some confusion.
I've noticed that there seem to be at least two common wiring orders. Older modules seem to put the pins in numerical order while the ones i've bought recently group them by which pair they connect to.

By 'eck, it's been a while since I saw modules with the terminals in numerical order.

I agree, but if you find yourself dealing with outlets that properly describe their products, you may come a bit unstuck.
At work we mostly use Connectix modules. That's partly because our procurement guy dealt with them for many years in his last job working for a cabling installation contractor where if there were reliability problems, they install enough for it to show up.
Yea we use a reasonable amount of Connectix stuff. Their patch panels seem pretty decent. Unfortunately our main wholesaler stocks Click modules and they are absolute garbage. You can break the housing by pulling the cable tie too hard, or even, if you push an RJ45 in a little too hard, the lugs snap and the PCB falls into the backbox :eek:

You can break the housing by pulling the cable tie too hard, or even, if you push an RJ45 in a little too hard, the lugs snap and the PCB falls into the backbox :eek:
Yup, there is some crap about.
I've had to make a big adjustment lately as my preferred connector is discontinued. For <cough> decades I've been using Nexan's HD808 stuff - small, modular, crimp the socket onto the cable then slot it into the patch panel or faceplate module. I suppose it's what you're used to, but I could terminate those a lot faster and neater than any punchdown module or panel. And for those (not uncommon for us) jobs where you keep going back and adding to an existing installation, you aren't riving the previous connections about to get the (partially populated) patch panel into a position where you can terminate the new cables to it. Plus, the unpopulated panel is great for putting the ends of the cables through while dressing them into place before terminating them.
If I've picked the right ones from the thumbnails, here's a during shot
and the finished thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back