Are you doing anything to conserve water?

Sponsored Links
Cold Shower every morning.

Bath or shower at night

Sponsored Links
I'm disappointed the wife won't agree to saving water and showering with me...

We started to do stuff like that anyway @Mottie, having a water meter can make you rethink your wastage.
Water meters are the meter I really really think should be outlawed! When I was a field technician the amount t of houses I went in for work where the residents were on a meter and frightened to flush the toilet, have a bath or a shower, wash up in clean water all because of a water meter.

But I'm all for a means of householders to use their water several times - washing water to water the garden or car; bath water to flush the toilet in exceptional hot weather. Mates house in California, USA has a thousand gallon tank just for that purpose.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I opened the water bill back in March - 740 squids for the year. Did a bit of calculating and decided to go onto a meter. Five months later we are on target for about £250-270 for the year. Apart from the significant saving, it also focuses the mind. We've changed a few habits and I am just looking at a water butt for the garden.

You don't need your water company to install a water meter and bill you for it, you can easily install your own and measure how much you use without having higher bills. Then you can go for a water co one when your sure you use less than std water rates would cover.
I don't want one, we have a family of 4 and at least 3 of them like lots of showers.
We use a dishwasher almost daily (it does get full).

However, I don't wash the cars often - generally only when they are bird poop covered through having to park under some trees round the corner.

there is no point in us having a water butt - we don't have a garden and live in Lancashire so get plenty of watter!.

Had an email from Severn-Trent assuring me their teams are pumping 100 million litres extra into the network to keep it topped up; doubled the number of tankers (give 'em a cheery wave, they say) and fixing 3,000 leaks per month (up 17% since 2017).
There's no hosepipe ban and hasn't been necessary since 1995 - although they'd like me to put the hosepipe away i can't really do that as the garden will need a soaking unless we get some rain today. Light rain forecast but my water butts are at rock bottom and the apple trees will be very thirsty, so they get priority treatment.
I'm alright.
Jack.
:mrgreen:

It's also worth noting that water companies are fitting meters to properties as and when they are in the area, so it's worth checking - you might already have one. I did a lot of CH and bathroom work about 5-6 years ago - definitely no water meter in the box then, just a tap. When I asked for the meter to be fitted she told me 'it's already there so we just need to read it and we'll start billing you on the meter.' I checked and sure enough there was one fitted. As I looked at it I noticed the disc was turning and that alerted me to a leak. (another story) When the engineer came out he said they would have fitted the meter when they came to do one of the others - it's in a group of three.

As usual, no information, no suggestions just pointless nit picking about government policy and shareholders profits. If you have nothing to add that is relevant to the thread title, you can just **** off.
Poor old mottie...

He doesn't understand the actual facts as they stand and refuses to answer very very simple questions...

Probably because he appears to enjoy being ripped off...

But as always mottie is easily flushed down the pan :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back