Argument thread.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought I'd give this a try. Might work, might not. A little reminder that not everything in life is gloom and doom. Just post up any personal good news you have had. It might be a lottery or premium bond win, a new addition to the family or even a job move or promotion. Let's celebrate something positive for a change!

I'll start. I've just had an email from the owner of the property that we are renting for the new year period. She has said that if we want, we can come a day early and have that extra day free of charge. That's my good news. :)

Edit: I realise I was expecting too much from certain members in here. Forget it, thread title changed - just post anything you want to cause an argument. After all, we haven't got any threads like that on here have we?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm off on a boys day out. We're giving Newlyn a try for the first time. Penzance is the end of the line, in more ways than one, so taxi or bus from there to Newlyn. Plenty of pubs there but no Spoon's so alternative luncheon arrangements will be required.
I'll try and engage with a few fishermen in the pubs, that could be a lively discussion.

I'm a burglar, and recently, whilst in the act of nicking a load of stuff from an old widow's house, I tripped on the edge of her rug and sprained my ankle quite badly. I was unable to burgle for three months so I called that Accident Help Line and they fixed me up with a greedy, manipulative lawyer who got me £50,000 as her carpet should have been better secured to the floor. All that and her pension book too. What wonderful times we live in.

The rain has stopped and the sun is coming out. Forecast indicates 4 hours of sunshine,

Good news as there are 10 days worth of dirty clothes in the washing machine

Sponsored Links
Driving to Czech Republic on Monday to get a month's break from the lunacy on this island. Long walks, bike rides, lazy lunches out, sampling the local beer and wine. Into Ostrava one Friday night on the train (half hour journey) to sample the famous Stodolni Street that's lined with pubs and have a curry after to soak it up. Also day trips to Bratislava, Krakow, Vienna and Prague planned by train - such a cheap, uncrowded way to travel in CZ/central Europe. Staying near the Polish border, so will wander across for a bit of an explore. Poss going back for Xmas and new year.

Will have camera and laptop so will be dropping into DIYnot occasionally if I can get some wifi in the pub.

Last edited:
Driving to Czech Republic on Monday to get a month's break from the lunacy on this island. Long walks, bike rides, lazy lunches out, sampling the local beer and wine. Into Ostrava one Friday night on the train (half hour journey) to sample the famous Stodolni Street that's lined with pubs and have a curry after to soak it up. Also day trips to Bratislava, Krakow, Vienna and Prague planned by train - such a cheap, uncrowded way to travel in CZ/central Europe. Staying near the Polish border, so will wander across for a bit of an explore. Poss going back for Xmas and new year.

Will have camera and laptop so will be dropping into DIYnot occasionally if I can get some wifi in the pub.
That sounds just great, it’s an amazing part of the world.

Somehow lots of mainland Europe seems so much more cultured than here.

I’ve just got back from a weeks holiday in Suffolk, it was a fantastic cottage - so booked whilst there for May half term.

And we had a whole week with zero rain….not bad for time of year.

That sounds just great, it’s an amazing part of the world.

Somehow lots of mainland Europe seems so much more cultured than here.

They're not quite so manic and materialistic. They seem to value their own culture more highly than we do and prize locally produced food and drink (mainly beer, but wine as well) over imported products. Maybe this is also down to lower disposable income. They're artistic and creative, often taking time to make impressive objects or art with basic materials. Always impressed with how well everyone behaves and old fashioned manners. Even drinkers in pubs who have had a few seem to be able to have a good time without being too loud, trying to attract attention or affecting others. Generally a more civilised place - we seem to have lost the basics in pursuit of something or other.

The former Soviet countries are the most interesting in Europe - much of western Europe seems a bit similar these days. CZ, Poland etc have a feeling of being several decades behind us in some ways, which is a good thing.

First break in the incessant rain for days, had a bike ride, bought some FR eggs

Sponsored Links
Back