Argument thread.

13 month near as damn it - old due to expire 27th November 2021, MOT done yesterday (30th October) and good to 27th November 2022.
Well that's not exactly within a day or two of your old ticket expiring is it Harry? You've given up nearly a month of your old MOT!

Sponsored Links
Well that's not exactly within a day or two of your old ticket expiring is it Harry? You've given up nearly a month of your old MOT!

No I haven't, I didn't give up any time at all on my old ticket - do you not understand how the MOT works?

You do surprise me if not - You can get an MOT done up to one month before the due date and preserve the original anniversary date for the MOT. If you have the MOT done, more than a month before it is due, then it will expire on the date it was done 12 months later.

Next year, I will be presenting it shortly after 27th October again, due to its MOT expiring 27th November 2022.

I have always had it done in the moth before and for two reasons - I am never without a valid MOT and if it fails on something minor, the car is still legal to be used on the road, should I need to pick any parts up. Of course if something major was found - it would be off the road, until fixed and re-tested, but I have never presented a car in that condition.

It's the other way round here.

If you have it tested on the last day of the certificate, you still get 28 days to do any repairs.

Sponsored Links
No I haven't, I didn't give up any time at all on my old ticket
You have. By having your test 28 days before it was due, you have 'given up' 28 days only to have it added onto the next certificate. You haven't gained so much as a day.

No I haven't, I didn't give up any time at all on my old ticket - do you not understand how the MOT works?
I hope I have some understanding of how the MOT system works, having been an MOT tester for over 40 years! All you've done is to preserve the expiry date of your previous certificate and the only way to do that is to give up a portion of it. A certificate is valid for 12 months. ANY amount over that time (up to a maximum of one month) can ONLY come from the previous certificate. In other words, by getting 13 months on your current certificate means you have only used 11 months of the previous one. You gain nothing and you lose nothing. I can't explain it any simpler than that.

Last edited:
You have. By having your test 28 days before it was due, you have 'given up' 28 days only to have it added onto the next certificate. You haven't gained so much as a day.

I never suggested I had gained any free days..

Are you sure, I thought if it fails, you can't use it, even if your old one still has a few weeks on it.

Absolutely certain, but entirely dependant upon the seriousness of the cause of the failure. Some are dangerous, some not. It is always against the law to use a dangerous vehicle on the public road and the fail certificate would make that clear - though I have never seen that for any vehicle I have owned. You would need to remove it from the garage, on the back of a truck, or have it repaired at the MOT garage. A split ball joint cover is not an immediately dangerous fault, a seriously worn ball joint under a split cover could be very dangerous.

A couple of years ago the inspector showed me a vehicle which he had refused to even test. A front brake rotor had worn through and parted completely from the hub. How the owner could possibly miss that and the noise, defies belief - but is how it was presented for the test.

Don't look now mottie, but I think you are arguing.(y)
That's why I changed the thread title. I soon realised that expecting people to just put up any good personal news on this forum was an ask too far! :rolleyes:

They will fail it for anything dangerous- repair immediately, it can pass but have advisories . So as far as I can tell a fail means you can't drive it on the road

A faulty road light will be a fail, but then you can take it home to repair it - that will not be a dangerous failure. The fact that it has failed will be on the computer and why, so best to not get pulled with the light still faulty.

Sponsored Links
Back