Assignment For Badge

Sponsored Links
http://www.maplin.co.uk/rj45-and-rj11-network-cable-tester-99067

You just cut a cat 5 patch lead in half. One half of the patch lead you terminate wires 1,2,3 into an IEC socket, and the other half into a 13A socket wired the same as you've done on the IEC end, and the tester will show for continuity, shorts and crosses on wires 1,2,3 and just show 4,5,6,7,8 as O/C.

Aha!

The trickery!

You added a bit while I was looking at your link.... ;)

Thanks.

When you say wire 1, 2 and 3, you mean pin 1 2 and 3?

I have patch cord to both A and B standards..... :rolleyes:

If I buy a cord today, which is it likely to be?

white/green

green

white/orange

OR

white/orange

orange

white/green ?

Cheers Rob.

Sponsored Links
Or you could borrow my PAT tester which will run a full set of tests on an IEC lead if you fancy a drive up the 62. :D

And consider the parents who are confronted with bleeding offspring and are less than pleased. Come with me and help me explain it to them, if you like.
I will.

And I'll explain what a useful lesson they learned, and how it was, in a way, a minor injury form of vaccination in that it encouraged the formation of "think about WTF you are doing and learn to be careful" antibodies in the brain.

Maybe I'll mention that woman who burned herself a few months ago when decanting petrol because all her life she's been told that the safety elf will always protect her from harm, that it's always somebody elses responsibility.

Nobody actively wants children to harm themselves, but wrapping them in cotton wool does an even bigger harm.

Nice offer thanks.

Can't drive at the moment, medical issues.... :cry:

Try that point of view on a site that insists on hand protection and see where you get ;)
No doubt though those are environments where the potential seriousness of injuries is in a different class to that for people in a scout hut with screwdrivers and sidecutters.

picture.php

(Hook underneath)

If you're not sure, carefully remove the sheath in the middle of the cable and while the cable is connected to the tester, snip 1 core at a time and see which wire number goes open circuit on the tester.

ban-all-sheds";p="2440631 said:
wrapping them in cotton wool does an even bigger harm.

Rubbish, that's where we'll have to disagree.

I have absolutely no desire to wrap them in cotton wool. If that were the case, I would not be working with the scouts in the first place...I just want to get them to wear gloves, if that's deemed appropriate after the RA.

I grew up in an age when these things did not matter. At work, H&S was not so stringent.

Heck, I remember when I worked in the food industry we used to go to the pub at lunch. As long as you could stand up on your return, the boss wasn't bothered.

But now... times change. And attitudes too.

Some think there is a huge issue with "compensation culture" and an attitude of "it's everybody's fault but mine" and personally I feel this is very wrong, but a lot of what we do today, both individuals and companies including voluntary organisations, is covering their backs.

However, my own personal take on PPE, having seen its merits first hand (forgive the pun) is that it is a lifesaver and well worth using.

Some think there is a huge issue with "compensation culture" and an attitude of "it's everybody's fault but mine" and personally I feel this is very wrong, but a lot of what we do today, both individuals and companies including voluntary organisations, is covering their backs.
Covering themselves against claims from people who never learnt the basic principles of thinking for themselves and doing their own risk assessments based on their experiences.

However, my own personal take on PPE, having seen its merits first hand (forgive the pun) is that it is a lifesaver and well worth using.
So what PPE do you wear when wiring a plug?

Ban: Like I said, you have to do RA's these days & I may have to provide gloves. Not sure yet.
Do that.

And as part of it consider the risks that arise from always protecting people from minor harm. We aren't talking circular saws here, or Japanese wood chisels, and giving them gloves will not teach them to be careful it will teach them that they won't get hurt by hand-tools.

More to the point, gloves may impair the grip and control of the tool thus increasing the risk of injury. Particularly for a mixed age group of children it may be difficult to get well-fitting gloves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back