Assignment For Badge

You could make a test box to prove the connections were correct.

Using Ticklie's suggestion of using appliance leads with moulded on IEC connectors one box could test all the plugs in turn.

Lamps lighting say they got it right makes it more exciting. They can also be left alone to wire the plugs up and then plug them in to test they had put the right wire to the right pin before bringing them to you for a visual inspection.

Sponsored Links
John - nice idea. But then I need multiple pairs of cutters and gloves....
Gloves??

When I was a boy scout we had sheath knives, not gloves, and I don't recall any PPE being issued along with the axe when we were camping.

Nor do I recall anybody ever getting hurt.

Anyway - have you got or can you borrow a welder? You could demonstrate why smaller cables can carry less current.

POSSIBLY you could have extension lead trailing sockets already fitted to the flexes, so then they can see you test their work at the end with a table lamp or similar.

Whatever you do is going to require supervision and checking to be sure of absolute safety.

It's one of those situations where nothing should go wrong - but of course it could.

I suppose if this is being done during the summer you could turn of the electricity in the scout hall until you have counted up everyone's work.

It may even be of some benefit to identify each plug and flex with a marker pen when it comes to counting them up for testing. And don't let them take them home.

Tickly: IEC leads are a good idea: or fig of 8 are even cheaper: cost is a factor when you have to buy upwards of 15...

Ban: Like I said, you have to do RA's these days & I may have to provide gloves. Not sure yet.

Bernard: one box could test all - help me out here : how?

I'm gonna need help if I'm to pull this off by next Thursday!

Sponsored Links
It would be battery powered with a 13 socket and a the female IEC to match the kettle leads being used. Plug both ends in and if the lights light the connections are correct.

I can recall making one a long time ago for checking imported leads but for the life of me cannot recall the circuitry inside that ensured the connections were correct. With three push to test double poles switches to test each wire in turn its easy. There must have been some electronics in it if it was plug and test.

Tickly: IEC leads are a good idea: or fig of 8 are even cheaper: cost is a factor when you have to buy upwards of 15...

but if you use figure of 8 leads, they won't have anything to wire to the earth terminal...

What about one of these, but replace the 16A connector with an IEC C14 connector (that's if you're going to use molded C13 leads):
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-socket-testers/0253535/

It would be battery powered with a 13 socket and a the female IEC to match the kettle leads being used. Plug both ends in and if the lights light the connections are correct.

I can recall making one a long time ago for checking imported leads but for the life of me cannot recall the circuitry inside that ensured the connections were correct. With three push to test double poles switches to test each wire in turn its easy. There must have been some electronics in it if it was plug and test.

I'm going to apply myself to it now. I know it seems a simple task, but I may be some time. ;)

OK. This is a germ of an idea.

This just checks continuity. Don't know how to deal with checking for or indicating crossed wires...

If I have a 1363 socket linked to an IEC socket but in line with each conductor there's a 1.5V battery, then a lamp.

So, when you plug each end of a lead in to both sockets, assuming all is well, continuity is good and the lamp glows.

This will ( should ) check connections but will not find shorts between conductors

battery +.....resistor......13 amp E ( battery via a resistor to the 13 amp socket Earth

IEC E.......-diode+......IEC L

13 amp L.....-diode+....lamp.....13 amp N

IEC N...... battery -

The resistor is needed because if the error in the lead is 13 amp E to IEC N then without the resistor there is a dead short on the battery.

I have a circuit for the full tester which uses two 14 pin ICs and a few resistors

OK, thanks! 13A E to IEC N not possible as IEC lead prewired (assuming wired OK!)

But IEC N to 13A E is possible (ie wiring the neutral conductor from the IEC lead into the earth pin of the plug).

Ignore that... :oops:

So, will use a 9V battery. What values of components do I need?

Ban: Like I said, you have to do RA's these days & I may have to provide gloves. Not sure yet.
Do that.

And as part of it consider the risks that arise from always protecting people from minor harm. We aren't talking circular saws here, or Japanese wood chisels, and giving them gloves will not teach them to be careful it will teach them that they won't get hurt by hand-tools.

A few little nips, scratches, cuts and gouges, even (or especially?) those which hurt and leak a bit of red stuff will do far more to ram home messages like "both hands behind the tool" than a lifetime of messages only and gloves when using wire cutters and strippers.

A few little nips, scratches, cuts and gouges, even (or especially?) those which hurt and leak a bit of red stuff will do far more to ram home messages like "both hands behind the tool" than a lifetime of messages only and gloves when using wire cutters and strippers.

Try that point of view on a site that insists on hand protection and see where you get ;)

Do that.

And as part of it consider the risks that arise from always protecting people from minor harm. We aren't talking circular saws here, or Japanese wood chisels, and giving them gloves will not teach them to be careful it will teach them that they won't get hurt by hand-tools.

And consider the parents who are confronted with bleeding offspring and are less than pleased. Come with me and help me explain it to them, if you like.

So, will use a 9V battery. What values of components do I need?

The diodes 1N4001 or 1N4148

The resistor would depend on the lamp used as the current for the lamp sets the voltage drop across the resistor for a "Pass" when the lamp lights.

If you use an LED with a 20 mA forward current then a 470 ohm resistor would give about 15 mA through the LED which should be bright enough.

Buy a cheap cat5 tester from maplins for a tenner and make up a cat5 adaptor for each end of the lead the scouts will be terminting.

This will test continuity and also indicate any crossed connections too, and if you haven't already got one, you're left with a handy cat5 tester at the end of it too :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back