Assignment For Science Badge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I am a leader at my local scout group.

I am putting together an assignment the lads could do at the end of which they could earn their science badge.

I have an LCD clock display and some zinc and copper electrodes.

I will ask each of them to bring a different food item to be used as a cell.

They will rig these up to the LCD display to see if it will work. At the same time, I'm hoping to measure voltage with a digi voltmeter so they can work out which foodstuffs provide the highest voltage.

Why some foods make better cells can be explored, perhaps with the use of litmus paper.

At the end, maybe all the cells could be rigged up as a battery to see if we can power something a little more robust.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Not particularly my field. But I thought that the voltage was entirely determined by the metals used. i.e. their standard electrode potentials, assuming a suitable electrolyte.

Sponsored Links
A friend has an apple powered clock from the70s.
2 apples in series will keep it going for weeks.
Also works on any other acidic fruit.
From memory, the electrodes were copper and zinc

The first transatlantic telegraph cable failed because the electrician thought he'd need lots of volts to get from America to England. He used huge induction coils to produce several kV, which, of course, broke down the gutta-percha insulation.

Eventually it was found that for a useable signal an electricity source comprising a silver thimble containing sulphuric acid was adequate.

OK. Next Thursday, I have to do this with the lads.

I've got some of the kit together, and have bought some other stuff off ebay (copper nails, croc clips etc).

I want to give them a hand-out with a bit of an introduction to the topic. Bearing in mind they are 11-14 year olds, I have roughly put this together:

Cells and batteries.

In the modern age we all rely heavily on batteries: they run everything from clocks and watches to mobile phones and MP3 players and cars and commercial vehicles, to name but a few of their uses.

Who invented the battery?

The first electrochemical cell was developed by the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta in 1792, and in 1800, he invented the first battery.

Strictly speaking, a battery is a collection of multiple electrochemical cells, but "battery" is often used to describe a single cell.

How do they work?

A simple cell (or battery) works by using two dissimilar metals (the electrodes) immersed in a paste or liquid (the electrolyte) that is either acidic or alkaline or a saline solution (salt and water mixed together).

This starts an electrochemical reaction where ions flow through the electrolyte and (when equipment is connected to the cell or battery)electrons flow through the wires. The voltage produced is largely dependant upon the type of metals used.

Power from food.

Do you think we can use some fruit to run a clock? Or some potatoes to turn a fan?

It seems hard to believe, but foods can be used like batteries to provide power to run electrical items.

In this experiment, we will use a copper nail as the positive terminal of the cell (the cathode), and a zinc plated screw as the negative terminal of the cell (the anode).

These electrodes will be inserted into or immersed in the food and the resultant cells will be connected together with others to create a battery.

It is important to make sure these electrodes are a similar distance apart in each food.

We can then test the cells (and later) the battery to see what voltage they are producing.

When we have successfully built and tested a battery for voltage, we can connect it up to a piece of equipment to see if we can really use food as batteries!

Write down here the answers to the following questions:

What was the voltage of the following:

a single lemon cell?

a single orange cell?

a single apple cell?

a single potato cell?

a single cola cell?

a single saline solution cell?

In terms of voltage, does it make a difference how far apart the two electrodes are?

How many cells did it take to power the clock?

How many to power the 5 volt fan?

How many to power the 12V fan?

Conclusions:

Comments gratefully received. There may be many mistakes bearing in mind the time...

Strictly speaking, a battery is a collection of multiple electrochemical cells, but "battery" is often used to describe a single cell.
I don't know if they'd enjoy 'strictly speaking'. How about phrasing it to let them into a 'secret' that they can annoy their parents with?

Boy holding AA battery: "What's this Dad?"
Dad: "It's a battery."
Boy: "No, it's a cell."
Boy holding PP3 battery: "This is a battery."
Dad kicks away stool boy is sitting on. Later the house burns down and everybody dies because son removed battery from smoke alarm.

As well as copper and zinc, you might try other metals and graphite. It might be worth cutting open a zinc-carbon D cell in front of them to reveal its structure.

I hope everyone's got safety glasses in case they get a squirt of lemon juice in the eye when sticking the (blunted) nails in the lemon.

I did physics not chemistry, but I thought it had to be an acid, not alkali or saline. The other thing is, both metals are dissolved in the process, so a zinc plated screw won't last long. I don't know where you find solid zinc, but look in yellow pages for a non-ferrous scrap yard.

Not particularly my field. But I thought that the voltage was entirely determined by the metals used. i.e. their standard electrode potentials, assuming a suitable electrolyte.
Precisely.

The electrolyte has to be suitable, which is why when lead-acid batteries in cars weren't sealed, and people regularly topped up the electrolyte with distilled water, you also had to periodically check the specific gravity of it (that being easier to measure than pH) to see if you should add some H2SO4 as well as H2O...

Thanks, guys.

I gave up at 0530 as I was close to dropping!

Went to bed and got up at 0620!!!

I have made cells with acids, alkalis and saline solutions. They all work to varying degrees.

Graham, I'm using BZP screws, which seem to work quite well.

On the look out for long zinc coated clout nails, they should be better?

Here is the revised texts. "Strictly speaking" notwithstanding, can anybody else see a major flaw with my text?

Cells And Batteries.

In the modern age we all rely heavily on batteries: they run everything from clocks and watches to mobile phones and MP3 players and cars and commercial vehicles, to name but a few.

Who invented the battery?
The first electrochemical cell was developed by the Italian physicist Alessandro Volta in 1792, and in 1800, he invented the first battery. He gave his name to the volt, the unit of electrical force.
Strictly speaking, a battery is a collection of multiple electrochemical cells, but the term "battery" is often used to describe a single cell.

How do they work?
A simple cell (or battery) works by using two dissimilar metals (the electrodes) immersed in a paste or liquid (the electrolyte) that is either acidic or alkaline or a saline solution (salt and water mixed together).
This starts an electrochemical reaction where ions flow through the electrolyte and (when equipment is connected to the cell or battery) electrons flow through the wires. The voltage produced is largely dependent upon the type of metals used.

Power from food.
Do you think we can use some fruit to run a clock? Or some potatoes to turn a fan?
It seems hard to believe, but foods can be used like batteries to provide power to run electrical items.
In this experiment, we will build food cells and batteries.
When we have successfully built and tested a battery for voltage, we will connect it up to a piece of equipment to see if we can really use food as batteries!

The experiment.

We will use a copper nail as the positive terminal of the cell (the cathode), and a zinc plated screw as the negative terminal of the cell (the anode).
These electrodes will be inserted into the food or immersed in the liquid .When using citrus fruit, roll the fruit gently but firmly on the tabletop. This will release the fruit’s juices. Do not apply too much force or the fruit will split and become useless. It is important to make sure these electrodes are a similar distance apart in each food. We can then test the cell for voltage, then vary the distance between the electrodes and test again.
After preparing several cells, we will then link them together to make a battery and test them to see what voltage they produce.

EXPERIMENT RESULTS

Name:.................................................................

Patrol:.................................................................

Write down here the answers to the following questions:

What were the voltages/ pH values of the following:

a single lemon cell?................................................ a single orange cell?..............................................

a single apple cell?................................................ a single potato cell?...............................................

a single cola cell?.................................................. a single saline solution cell?..................................

In terms of voltage, did it make a difference how far apart the two electrodes are? If so, why?

........................................................................................................................................................

What was the minimum number of cells needed to power the clock?..........................................

...to power the 5 volt fan?..............................................................................................

...to power the 12 volt fan?................................................................................................

Conclusions:

The conclusions I have jotted down are:

To note the relation between pH value & cell voltages.

If the electrodes are further apart, the cell voltage drops.

Saline is neither acid nor alkaline.

More cells are needed for higher voltage devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back