Assignment For Badge

"The law is black and white when it comes to working on the electrical and plumbing systems in your home.

If it’s much beyond changing a light bulb or a tap washer, you will probably need to get the relevant licensed tradesperson onto it, if in doubt call a tradie"

plumbing_01_729-420x0.jpg

Put down the tools and call a tradie.

The Austalian laws are widely thought to be mainy intended for protecting tradesmen who are members of the more powerful trades unions.

Sponsored Links
The method I've seen used for making safe the plugs used in these exercises before is drilling through the end of the earth pin, running a bolt through the hole, winding on a nut and then bending the end through 90 degrees to stop it being taken off again. Seemed to work quite well.

Sponsored Links
Excuse my intrusion into this post, but you may not need to buy 15+ appliance leads with IEC connectors.

Most larger companies and schools IT departments will usually have a large box of spare ones - with Shuko plugs on the other end that would have come with all the computers and monitors.

picture.php

(Hook underneath)

If you're not sure, carefully remove the sheath in the middle of the cable and while the cable is connected to the tester, snip 1 core at a time and see which wire number goes open circuit on the tester.

Thanks a million to everyone who has offered help with this assignment, especially to bernard for offering help designing a check box and RF who blew that to bits and replaced it with the ready-made Cat 5 cable tester. ;)

I now have in my sweaty mitts one of the testers from Maplins.

It has a main test box (with battery) and a detachable remote box. Each unit has an RJ45 and an RJ11 socket.

The instructions are translated chinese and apalling. So I guess to test a lead you plug each end into the appropriate socket in each box.

How does that work, then, if the detachable remote box is not powered independently?

I'm not sure how they work, but they do!

You plug an RJ45 cable between the main bit and the remote bit, and it should run through LEDs 1-8 in sequence on both units.

I have loads of adaptors made up for mine for testing microphone and speaker type of cabling and it works fine even if you jsut have two cores between the sender and receiver modules.

The only patch cables I can find are all in use!

So I'll order a cheap one from somewhere (or nip back to Maplin) and then I can make my Frakenstein leads up!

Thanks again!

maybe it's just me but building adaptors to go from network plugs to mains plugs sounds like a really bad idea....

How does that work, then, if the detachable remote box is not powered independently?
Those cheap units are usually just simple tests for shorts and opens, nothing fancier.

One way to do it is to use a bunch of blocking diodes in the receiver unit.

If you were designing for a maximum of 8 lines, you could have the 8 indicating LEDs wired with their anodes to their respective pins. The cathode of each LED then goes to the anodes of 7 blocking diodes, the cathodes of which each connect to the remaining pins.

So LED1 has anode to pin 1, cathode to the anodes of 7 diodes, the individual cathodes of which go to pins 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8. LED2 has its anode connected to pin 2, cathode to the anodes of 7 diodes, which in turn have their cathodes connected to pins 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8. The cathodes of the diodes associated with LED3/pin 3 connect to all of the other pins except 3. And so on.

That way if you put a positive potential on pin 1, then LED1 will light so long as at least one of the other lines provides a return path to the source at the sender unit. A short between two lines will cause both of the associated LEDs to light so long as there is at least one other connection which is intact and not shorted.

All the sender unit has to do is put a positive potential on each line in sequence, with the other 7 connected to the common/negative return.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back