Avoid points on a driving licence

Or, everyday I drive past one of those "your speed is" signs, which flashes up my speed. It has yet to coincide with my speedo (and we're not talking swimming trunks) - I invariably do 29mph by my speedo -strange coincidence bu true - the sign flashes up numbers between 24 and 32mph.

So, just how accurate is my car's speedo (even different type pressures can vary the reading away from accurate). Thus a ticket for 1 to 5 mph "over" should be treated with the contempt it deserves

Correct Dextrous, speedo's are not accurate thats why your allowed 10% + 2. If car manufacturers claimed they were then the first time someone was caught speeding having trusted the speedo teh manufacturer would be in court thats why they make them read over hence the allowance you are given by the Fed's.

Sponsored Links
Or, everyday I drive past one of those "your speed is" signs, which flashes up my speed. It has yet to coincide with my speedo (and we're not talking swimming trunks) - I invariably do 29mph by my speedo -strange coincidence bu true - the sign flashes up numbers between 24 and 32mph.

So, just how accurate is my car's speedo (even different type pressures can vary the reading away from accurate). Thus a ticket for 1 to 5 mph "over" should be treated with the contempt it deserves
The signs are inaccurate. But they are not legally binding.

The police use calbrated speed guns and track one point on a car.

If you do 31mph in a 30 area, you are speeding and therefore breaking the law and they are within their rights to prosecute. Not difficult is it. If your speedo is inaccurate, its a defect with your vehicle. The reason society is in such a mess is police turning blind eyes to these small matters.

The police use calbrated speed guns and track one point on a car.

If you do 31mph in a 30 area, you are speeding and therefore breaking the law and they are within their rights to prosecute. Not difficult is it. If your speedo is inaccurate, its a defect with your vehicle. The reason society is in such a mess is police turning blind eyes to these small matters.
But why should I be prosecuted for using equipment (my car) in good faith within the bounds of the law? I have my car serviced regularly, it's MOT is valid, it's tyre pressures are checked regularly. So, due to what must be a design fault in the vehicle, I am breaking the speed limit and unaware of doing so. We're not talking by a ridiculous margin (I can tell the difference between 30 an 40 for example), but a couple of mph out.

I know that you can argue "tough ti tties" and "ignorance is no defence", but it doesn't seem right somehow.

sign the admission of guilt ( as it's illegal not to )but don't agree to the fine, let it go to court. because they didn't notify you of your rights when signing the admission of guilt, it's inadmissible as evidence in court..

Sponsored Links
I think I will not try this one, in the likely event I may get prosecuted and loose my whole license and all the points

the only way to avoid license points is to NOT SPEED and follow the HIGHWAY CODE

we all speed at some point!!!! pulling out at a junction to keep pace with oncoming........... i have a motorbike and often pull past the white haired brigade doing 20 in a 30 :confused: or the by pass doing 40 in a 70 :evil:

I think I will not try this one, in the likely event I may get prosecuted and loose my whole license and all the points

the only way to avoid license points is to NOT SPEED and follow the HIGHWAY CODE

course we do al :confused:

..."The police use calbrated speed guns and track one point on a car.

If you do 31mph in a 30 area, you are speeding and therefore breaking the law and they are within their rights to prosecute"...

And quite rightly so, after all you were speeding, but car speedo's aren't caliberated like speed guns, its safer for the manufacturers to make them read over rather than claim they are calibarated and accurate, how long would this calibaration last, even the police can't use un-calibarated equipment to 'DO' you so why would a manufacturer.

Remember if you are caught at 36mph you were actually doing 31, so your speedo can actually read 35 and your still not speeding.

Which part of that don't you understand, its not difficult is it? ;)

yes it is actually :cry: everyone speeds at some point.....fact........

Going back to the OP, was talking to a guy in work this morning on this subject.
In December 2009 his daughter picked up a speeding ticket in Manchester. She wrote out a cheque and sent it with her licence to DVLA. They contacted her to say she had been driving for 6 years whilst, 'suspended'.

She phoned up and asked what it meant and was told in 2004 she had been captured 3 times and had failed to send in her licence to have the points added. As a result her right to drive had been suspended, (not disqualified), until she returned her licence for updating. As she had now returned her licence she would be ok to drive legally.
So for 6 years she paid her Road Tax, MOT and Insurance but was not legally allowed to drive.

can i play devil's advocate for a bit.....

why is speeding wrong? (apart from the law that's in place of course!)

If you shoot someone they're 100% dead... if you pinch a laptop.... it is 100% pinched....
But if you speed... then you're potentially (with a very low %age) going to hurt/kill someone... but you haven't actually 'wronged' anyone.....

what if you were allowed to drive at whatever speed you wanted, but got severely punished fpr causing an accident?

But if you drive at a 'safe' speed then there is less likelihood of hurting someone.

But if you drive at a 'safe' speed then there is less likelihood of hurting someone.

but that's a matter of degree.... hit a pushchair at 20mph... then is that ok? (legally i guess)..

who or what has determined a 'safe speed'?

for me, it's about the potential to cause another person grief. I was brought up to respect others.... i probably drive a bit too fast... and i download the odd tune for free (but i do go and buy a CD if i find a band that really are quite good). But i wouldn't pinch the milk from someone's doorstep.

Laws around driving do seem to be a tax gathering exercise.....

and you only have to watch these police camera shows on tv.... Mr A gets caught without insurance (and therefore no tax), and in a car without an MOT.... and with three joints in the glovebox... and gets a verbal warning... and goes on his way... back home to his 40" tv, xbox... iPhone and 9% cider from the local oddbins... oh and a couple of packets or Milupa for his 14mnth old twins......

Surely we should lock up the twins.... they're more potential crims than i am !

Sponsored Links
Back