back boiler to combi advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a 30 year old baxi bermuda back boiler which I want replacing. We want new boiler put in loft, is this possible?

Also do they block off back boiler or take it out? We want a new electric fire with new surround so can cover up whatever they do.

I know you may not be allowed to give idea of prices, but would around £3000 be enough to budget for this type of work. Don;t mind if it goes over this

any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it is possible.

Do be warned that rad valves at least will need to be replaced, gas line uprated to supply correct gas preesure (could even be 28mm) to gas hungry (during hot water demand) boiler, system will need to be cleaned chemically/ and or power flushed and not just drained- boiler fitted- and filled, and finally condensate drain will need to be routed for safe discharge of acidic water.

These are just a few things that will need to be addressed to give an installation that may last a few years. Ignore these and you have a boiler that will be a nightmare.

Also stay clear of devil boilers (Ideal is one of them)

also the increase to a pressurised system which includes your hw (incase there is any dodgy lead joints) could result in the existing pipework
pshing like an alky on a friday night

how about one of these new bermuda bbu he replacements i have read about?

Sponsored Links
Got a mate who has been on a baxi presentation to BG about the new back boiles and he says they actually look ok and boiler is ok. BG have had a dozen on test with no problems and only couple of people have mentioned the condensate pump which kicks in every few hours for a couple of seconds.
Dont think a price has been announced for them yet though

any sign of when they will be available to independent installers. I would rather have another bbu and pay more than have whole house in upheaval.

personally wouldn't bother with the new BBU.

we would fit a new Vaillant Ecotec831 for around £2k including removal of old unit, pipework and making good to your fireplace if you were in Hants/Dorset

The old bbu's were about £1400, so it would be logical to expect the more complicated new models to retail between £1500 and £2000. You can get a lot better for a lot less money.
Even with a bbu, you will probably have to get the floors up for a larger gaspipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back