Baxi Barcelona - explosive ignition

Sponsored Links
Sse?
Thought it was homeserve?
Or are they linked down south?

The contract is with SSE Home serve and is sold as a ' Gas Shield contract' ..... yes they do operate in Wales, SSE bought out SWALEC, I have had a contract with them for at least 4 years.

As advised; Heateam fixed price repair & service contract.
IF you're not trying to fix this yourself. A well documented record of events & sue SSE.

First off - I am not doing this myself, just some here choose not to believe this ..... maybe that their standard response - it is after all a a DIY forum.

As it is under contract ... I am not going to pay someone else to come in, but trying via my question to see if there is a known likley cause - I would relay it to Tech when he comes back next week.
(Hason has suggested a likely cause so will relay that to the Tech)

I do have details of all the visits as SSE provide a follow up visit report each time, gives Gas Techs name, date, time, work carried out etc.

Sponsored Links
... oh and stop fitting your own boilers because thats when you start going down the slippery road ...

I have built 3 house ... (serial selfbuilder) in each I select the correct flue position, drill the walls at correct angle, fit the boiler to the wall, fit the flue, ... fit primaries to Thermal Store, pump, bypass, zone valve, pressure vessel, filling loop etc. ... but connection of primaries to the boiler & all of the gas pipe run & connection to boiler ( & Cooker) is done by certified gas tech.

I am not selling my service, and I am not working on the gas, I have a gas safety test certificate to prove install meets requirements and is safe (not that I need such a certificate - unless selling the house)

I have had no problem at all getting a Cogi registered tech to make these connections, commission & carry out full safety inspection and then when happy issue a safety certificate.

It is not at all difficult to fit a boiler to a wall ..... the installation manual very clearly & simply defines the restriction on flue position, height, distance from eaves, overhangs, windows etc. ..... all very clear in the boiler manuals.
I can afford to spend a lot more time to ensure job is done neatly, n burst out of bricks etc.

I have no qualms at all of fitting the boiler to the wall in my next house, but as before will not touch the gas install.

First off - I am not doing this myself, just some here choose not to believe this ..... maybe that their standard response - it is after all a a DIY forum.

As it is under contract ... I am not going to pay someone else to come in, but trying via my question to see if there is a known likley cause - I would relay it to Tech when he comes back next week.
(Hason has suggested a likely cause so will relay that to the Tech)

I do have details of all the visits as SSE provide a follow up visit report each time, gives Gas Techs name, date, time, work carried out etc.

It's called DIYnot!!!

Frankly I'd not let them back in the house if they missed that simple fault.
Hason should be banned for offering a DaftyDIYer Gas advice!!

The contract is with SSE Home serve and is sold as a ' Gas Shield contract' ..... yes they do operate in Wales, SSE bought out SWALEC, I have had a contract with them for at least 4 years.
Cheers. I was confused as sse and homeserve are two different companies that offer maintenance plans.

I know some here do not believe me, and are convinced I'm doing the work myself.
So those guys - read no further.

For others :
Gas tech arrived on site toady from SSE ..
New gas valve
New burner box door (2nd one)
New set of electrodes (4th set I think)
New Electrode earthing kit
New Control board
New harness

Interesting that after so many visit only now is the 'new' earth connection harness being installed between the electrode and boiler frame. Even though new style electrodes should have had this new earth harness fitted when theses were installed with first replcament door.

Had an issue where the new control board does not match the manual as regards configuration ......... manual talks about removing J1 and J2 to set to 100.000 Btu/h and turn off modulation (both to be out when connected to Thermal store)
However new board has 4 jumpers

J1 Red
J2 Blue
J3 Blue
J4 Yellow

Tech did not know what to do over jumpers, phoned Baxi and when he eventually got through, guy at other end had no idea what the jumpers should be set to (Baxi support does not seem that good)

I did some Googling around and found the following post here:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/baxi-barcelona-pcb-jumper-details.80740/

So in absence of any other information (you would expect some information sheet with the card) advised Gas Tech to set:

J1 out
J2 out (in conjunction with J1 sets to 100,000 Btu/h and turns off modulation
J3 out sets Max temp to 63c
J4 in as normal flue length

In parallel have asked Baxi to confirm via email to support .......... not sure how successful that will be.

Hoping that this is finally fixed, the missing earth harness could explain all the ignition flash over issues.

For others :
Gas tech arrived on site toady from SSE ..
New gas valve
New burner box door (2nd one)
New set of electrodes (4th set I think)
New Electrode earthing kit
New Control board
New harness

FML SSE have just gone for a lucky dip havent they (y)

The amount of spares left on site is amazing, loads of circuit boards, gas valve, burner door, burner door seals - multiple electrical harnesses of various types.
Must be over a grands worth of spares.

The amount of spares left on site is amazing, loads of circuit boards, gas valve, burner door, burner door seals - multiple electrical harnesses of various types.
Must be over a grands worth of spares.
They havent taken the old stuff away?

Yes ... the 'scrap' but each time they visit (>20 visits) they arrive with duplicate spares - and leave them here ... so a pretty fair collection building up. Maybe just that they don't want hassle of booking them back in :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back