Best product for plaster repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve removed some wallpaper from the bedroom in our 1930s house and the plaster has come away in a couple of areas.
1. Under the window - exposing the timber of the bay window wall
2. Partition wall with another room - guess this is brick with plaster and the skim coat has come off.
Based on my limited description the guy at B&Q recommended using Polyfilla but seemed to be going off the labels rather than personal knowledge so I wondered if there was anything better suited for the task? Looks like the previous owners using Toupret or similar to patch some areas, would this be better?
The plan is to paint once repaired
Any help/advice much appreciated

Attachments

• 47B78DA4-7613-4AED-A0AF-39CB99C4FD8B.jpeg
    47B78DA4-7613-4AED-A0AF-39CB99C4FD8B.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 95EF0D92-4370-40A6-BFF9-F730C405553C.jpeg
    95EF0D92-4370-40A6-BFF9-F730C405553C.jpeg
    250.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 37CD56CA-4600-4A8D-A565-C2D97B225EC5.jpeg
    37CD56CA-4600-4A8D-A565-C2D97B225EC5.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
Any ready mix plaster will do. Grab a couple of sheets of different sand paper to rub it down. The key is to wet it and trowel it up before it sets hard and that saves a lot on sanding. You might need some decorators filler on window.

Lime plaster?
You can buy lime plaster patching bags if it is.

I'd use Toupret TX110 if not lime

Any ready mix plaster will do. Grab a couple of sheets of different sand paper to rub it down. The key is to wet it and trowel it up before it sets hard and that saves a lot on sanding. You might need some decorators filler on window.
Thank you would that be something like Toupret smoothing filler or finishing plaster?
Do I need to do anything to the patched areas after, before painting?

Sponsored Links
Let it dry and if necessary a mist coat, but a small area should be fine as it. make sure the first coat of paint is properly dry before adding otherwise the whole lot will peel off.

It's in a box from places like screwfix or toolstation. You mix with water
Could use the standard one but slower setting and drying.
Up to you

It's just a general filler that can be used for thin skims or deep fills.

Smoothing filler is just for thin skims.

Is that bay single skin? Is the room cold and damp when heated?

Might be a chance to chip the bay back to brick and put some Celotex PL4050 in, then tape and skim the joints and refit the skirting.

Many people are unaware that Pollyfilla can be reinforced so to speak by adding a little PVA, done it loads of times. But don't go ladling it in because too much will make it dry rock hard. Alteratively I used a tub of Wickes ready mixed plaster skim last time I had a similar job to do a couple of years ago because it pretty well stays put rather than slowly sinking as some others do.

Is that bay single skin? Is the room cold and damp when heated?

Might be a chance to chip the bay back to brick and put some Celotex PL4050 in, then tape and skim the joints and refit the skirting.
I think the bay is timber frame, tile hanging external and I assume plaster and lathe internally. It’s not noticeably damp. It’s cold ish, but I we don’t really put the heating on in here (like sleeping in a cold room!)
Think that is a bigger job that I feel comfortable taking on, particularly as we had new windows fitted earlier this year and would need to replace all the sills (cills?) maybe one for the next time we redecorate!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back