Border on the Island of Ireland

Did you know that under EU rules, people moving to another country for work can be recorded, and sent home if they have not found work after three months?

Bodge has a real problem coping with that.

Sponsored Links
I'm not talking about a deal to leave.
I'm saying if the Liberal party started listening to 17 million people and addressing concerns they may get something out of it.

Instead of talking they say boll0x

One of the pieces of misinformation we’re all being fed about the position of Britain post-Brexit, after we leave the European Union, is that we’re all going to have some terrible problem with the World Trade Organisation. The argument goes like this. After we’re out of the EU then we need to have some sort of system which regulates trade. As I’ve already said I’d prefer unilateral free trade but understand that many don’t. But what people then say is that as we won’t have a WTO deal, or perhaps not the right kind of paperwork filled out, then we’re not going to be able to trade at all.

This is of course ridiculous. Firstly, on purely pragmatic grounds. Britain is the world’s 5th largest economy (depends who is counting, maybe 6th) and it’s just not true that the rest of the world is going to stop trade just because there’s a jot or tittle missing on a document or two. The more anally retentive among the bureaucracy may believe that the world dances to their whim, to the rules that they put on their pieces of paper, but the truth is that we humour them more than anything else. No one is going to stop getting maintenance for their Rolls Royce jet engines (yes, that’s a British export) because 192 nations haven’t signed off on some schedule. Nor are the farmers of Normandy going to stop sending us cheese for the same reason.

The real world just doesn’t work that way. When push comes to shove it’ll be shove the paperwork and push the trade.
But rather more than that there is no need or requirement to gain some new deal. I’ve checked this by actually talking to the WTO itself when I enquired about the insistences of Nick Clegg on the matter. I was greeted with gales of laughter on the point and a gentle pointing out that Britain was currently a member of the WTO. We were a founding member, we are a member today and we’ll be a member after Brexit.

As such we will face tariffs that other countries impose upon imports just the same as any other WTO member. We will also have Most Favoured Nation status (which is essentially synonymous with being a WTO member) and so will face the same tariffs in any one country as any other MFN does. If the US charges 5% (or whatever) on French camembert then Somerset camembert will pay 5% on import into the US. That’s just how the system works. Further, whatever duties we wish to impose on imports into the UK are entirely up to us. We cannot charge more than the WTO ceilings, and we must charge the same for the same goods from different sources under the MFN clauses, but charging a duty of 0%, 0.1%, or that ceiling, is all equally allowed.

Me, I say charge 0% so that we get to enjoy all those lovely things J. Foreigner makes better than we do and who gives a damn what they deny their own citizens among our production?

And today we have confirmation of this, how the WTO works:

Last week there was a welcome confirmation from the Head of the WTO that Leave were correct. He said “The UK is a member of the WTO today, it will be a member tomorrow. There will be no discontinuity in its membership…” (when we leave the EU). “Trade will not stop. It will continue and members negotiate the legal basis under which that trade is going to happen”.

I also consulted a WTO legal expert. He confirmed that whilst the EU exercises the votes and voice for all EU states, the individual member states are not just members in their own right as well, but each member state pays its own membership subscription. This shows just how wrong it was to say we would have a long process to rejoin. We are full paying club members who will get our vote and voice back when we leave the EU.

We simply do not have a WTO problem post-Brexit. So can we stop that continuation of Project Fear that keeps insisting that we do?

Found that on Forbes. I'm not an expert either.

Sure I will decide not to have my landlord safety certifcate, it's only a missing document or why don't you not have your Gas Safe Register. I will just decide I don't need this customs document.

Just pipe down with your idocy.

Did you know that under EU rules, people moving to another country for work can be recorded, and sent home if they have not found work after three months

I'm not one of those who claim all migrants are here for the benefits. I'm sure it happens but not a concern of mine.

If your going to encourage migration, be prepared . Get the infrastructure up to date.
Have some respect for local cultures be sure services can cope.

Deport foreign criminals

Some London boroughs don't understand when the glass is full you have to stop pouring.

Control........conttol.....

Sponsored Links
Sure I will decide not to have my landlord safety certifcate, it's only a missing document or why don't you not have your Gas Safe Register. I will just decide I don't need this customs document.

Just pipe down with your idocy.

Did I write all that

Now I've always said I love the Poles and the Romanians and all else. ( as long as they are good people} but control is needed and I don't hear anyone saying "OK we hear you let's sit down and deal with this" .

Control is the key word not hate.

When the Eastern European countries joined the EU, there was the option to prevent free movement for a number of years. The control you speak of was an option. Blair decided not to implement it.

Why? Because free movement of young working Polish workers was good for this economy.

Currently there are around 1 million overstayers here -and almost nothing is done about it.

The problems are the UK government.

The UK government have told us its the fault of immigration and the EU, so thats what is believed.

Why do our government blame the EU -its so we blame the EU and not our government.

When the Eastern European countries joined the EU, there was the option to prevent free movement for a number of years. The control you speak of was an option. Blair decided not to implement it.

Why? Because free movement of young working Polish workers was good for this economy.

Currently there are around 1 million overstayers here -and almost nothing is done about it.

The problems are the UK government.

The UK government have told us its the fault of immigration and the EU, so thats what is believed.

Why do our government blame the EU -its so we blame the EU and not our government.

TBF we did need immigration, unfortunately the numbers projected by the Blair govt were, how shall I say, wildly inacurate?

The irony of the backstop:

The backstop is there to prevent a hard border. It will only be used if a solution cant be found.

Brexiteers say there is a solution using technology. If they stand by their word, presumably they arent concerned about the backstop because they already have a solution.

But Brexiteers wont allow a deal with a backstop.

Do we think they dont believe their own solution :ROFLMAO:

Back on topic, hard Brexit or not, no hard border with Ireland, aint going to happen.

In the US the House controlled by the Dems have said no FTA if there is a hard border and has to include Agriculture.

The Irish caucus is very strong in the US.

We are not taking back control we are giving it away. Brexiteers simply cannot understand facts.

In the US the House controlled by the Dems have said no FTA if there is a hard border and has to include Agriculture.

The Irish caucus is very strong in the US.

We are not taking back control we are giving it away. Brexiteers simply cannot understand facts.

The EU havent succeeded with a trade agreement with the US partly because of chlorinated chicken. They wont want it creeping in though Ireland.

So regulatory alignment will have to stay and no FTA with the US.

round and round we go

Luckily that clever Boris has the answers :eek:

Help me understand. In the case of the UK leaving the EU. Who says there is going to be a border set up.?

Whos going enforce this border. I can't make head nor tail of it.

It doesn't matter it's just a remoaner smoke screen, does Switzerland have problems or Norway ? Get ready for the remoaners nonsense blah blah blah bloody blah
They think civilisation and trade doest exit outside of the EU. How silly short sighted and blinkered they are .....oh hang on let's have "A people's vote !" Typical silly remoaners dream ! People voted before ....but they didn't like the result ....tough.

blah blah blah bloody blah

Paperclip.jpg

It doesn't matter it's just a remoaner smoke screen, does Switzerland have problems or Norway ? Get ready for the remoaners nonsense blah blah blah bloody blah
"remoaners nonsense"?

There's a simple reason why Switzerland and Norway have no problem as regards the EU...

It's the bit that xenophobic quitters hate, btw - they allow freedom of movement!

And they are in the Schengen area...

Quitters truly are rather thick!

Sponsored Links
Back