Brexit - How is it going - List of 150 companies troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
the phrase "adapted" can mean "make uncompetitive"

the phrase "adapted" can mean "make more competitive"
but putting up trade barriers between us and out biggest trade partner it always means "make uncompetitive"

unless you know some trade benefits of brexit that cut costs.

Sponsored Links
Eq0IJdsW4AAoN2U

It depend on value. Below £135 the seller charges and collects and for that privilege they will have to register with HMRC costing about £1k and then ontop keep VAT records and submit these to HMRC.

Above and you will pay VAT * customs + handling charge on entry.

Small sellers and low cost items - :whistle:

Oh right so the companies in that list could put a minimum order charge of £135...

Which I recognise is not necessarily a good thing as I assume from the names of. Lot of them shops £135 is probably quite hard to do based on what they average order value is

Huh? Any source for this? How does HMRC have any jurisdiction of a foreign company?

It's everywhere mate.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...s-goods-sold-to-customers-from-1-january-2021

Even Mr William Shatner has realised the implications.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/brexit-to-boldly-go-where-no-vat-inspector-has-gone-before/

Up to now, if an overseas company supplied an item direct to a UK consumer, it would arrive VAT free and the consumer would be responsible for paying any duty and the VAT along with it. After the transition period ends, that will change.

Government guidance says that from 1 January 2021, for imports of goods from outside the UK in consignments not exceeding £135, the point at which VAT is collected will move from the point of importation to the point of sale.

The new arrangements will also involve abolishing the ‘low value consignment relief’, which avoids VAT on consignments of goods valued at £15 or less.

Online marketplaces such as Ebay and Etsy, which are involved in facilitating the sale, will be responsible for collecting and accounting for the VAT. But for goods sold directly to UK consumers without online marketplace involvement, the overseas seller will be “required to register and account for the VAT to HMRC”.

The Times thinks many online suppliers overseas will be put off exporting to the UK, thus reducing both consumer choice and competition.

But if the problem of importing into the UK is going to be trickier after Brexit, pity the online exporter in Britain who, after Brexit, may need to be registered in all 27 EU member states (or at least the ones representing their major markets).

They too, must either register for VAT in each European country or sell to another business customer with a valid EU VAT number. The latter option means the EU-based agent will take a commission for his or her trouble, reducing profitability. The agent will also assume legal responsibility in EU law for product safety and compliance with EU rules.

Registration can be as much as £5,000 for each country, so it can be an expensive business and some UK sellers have told The Times they won’t bother and will stop exporting to the EU altogether.

The article says that although the cost of doing business in the EU for UK suppliers will rise, on the other hand, many European businesses may stop selling in Britain so this could reduce competition.

But for UK consumers the overall result will almost certainly mean price rises and a reduction in choice. At present anyone can go on to Amazon and pretty much buy any product that is available in the EU. This may not be the case after 1 January.

Sponsored Links
There has always been paperwork and admin. Those processes will be adapted to the new arrangements.

Yet no mention of any benefit. Still waiting for that.

You are slowly starting to realise the deal is a pile of horse manure.

We all knew that leaving the EU and the Single Market would create additional costs and obstacles.

Like a frog in hot water, it won't seem much at first.

but putting up trade barriers between us and out biggest trade partner it always means "make uncompetitive"

unless you know some trade benefits of brexit that cut costs.

I think I recall many of these Brexxers were quick to point out that if you have some compassion about the plight of asylum seekers - why don't you let one stay with you.

Now taking this direct action route. These brexxers direct decision has caused these companies to face higher costs and quite likley lower sales. So in the spirit of direct action these Brexxers needs to either dip into their pockets or find a cost neutral solution for them. :mrgreen:

So what was the point of signing a free trade agreement?

I'm sorry for my ignorance I'm not really clued up on the trade agreements etc and sometimes its just easier to ask people who do know

So what was the point of signing a free trade agreement?

I'm sorry for my ignorance I'm not really clued up on the trade agreements etc and sometimes its just easier to ask people who do know

No FTA means WTO and thats tariffs ontop of paperwork on top of meeting rules and regulations of the countries that trade.

FTA allows countries to reduce tariffs, quotas and crucially non tariff barriers like rules and regulations which allows for smoother and easier trade - ergo the gains from trading.

150 companies?
Can't really say I have ever heard of all but two of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back