Can a driver sue a pedestrian/dog owner?

pete, an emergency stop is only permitted if there is imediate danger to one or more human lives- including your own.

if a dog runs out, nasty as it it, its not going to do much damage to a car

same with cat/other animal
once you get to an animal big enough to roll up and hit the windscreen, i.e. a dear-notice the nice big antelers on its head ready to come through your windscreen....

then you can stop because a life is at danger-yours

if you stop for a rat you are putting your life and the life of thepeople on the roadwith you - suddenly stoping/skidding ect ect your liable for damage

saying to the policeman "but i stopped for felix" wont help you out much....

Sponsored Links
supersparks
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you swerve to avoid a dog the bill is yours to pickup.
If you swerve to miss another car & hit a tree & have only third party & the car you swerved to miss is now long gone. The bill is yours.
But
It is a natural reaction to swerve to avoid what is coming,

supersparks said:
saying to the policeman "but i stopped for felix" wont help you out much....

I hear what you are saying, but if you stopped suddenly due to a dog or cat and then someone ran into the back of you who would be liable for the damage?

I always thought that the car behind is responsible, no matter what the car in front does. All about safe gaps, vigilance and the like......

Sponsored Links
One could sue anyone for redress I suppose... recovery of anything other than a large bill -- not guaranteed.

Not a giant leap from sue to Sewage.

:cry:

jtaunton said:
I always thought that the car behind is responsible, no matter what the car in front does. All about safe gaps, vigilance and the like......

That's what I thought, but I'd like to know for sure.

Back