Can I remove this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I remove this cupboard safely and move the door over?

I want to remove this cupboard and then move the right door over in the hallway into the left hand side where the cupboard is now. Doing this will add so much room in my bedroom.

I wanted to make sure this cupboard isn't holding the roof up or anything before I go about destroying it and moving anything around.

Attachments

• 1 (1).jpg
    1 (1).jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 295
  • 1 (2).jpg
    1 (2).jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 1 (3).jpg
    1 (3).jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200513_183153.jpg
    20200513_183153.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 295
  • both doors bottom.jpg
    both doors bottom.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 270
  • both doors top.jpg
    both doors top.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 291
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 283
  • full.jpg
    full.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Inside cupboard roof.jpg
    Inside cupboard roof.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 279
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 273
Sponsored Links
Tap the cupboard to see if it is thin wood or has a solid timber upright.
I doubt it's holding anything up but a look in the loft would help

Yes you can.

But look in the loft first. If it's trusses you are OK, or see if anything (ie timber) is resting on the walls and going vertically or at an angle towards the roof

Is that an old blow-air boiler cupboard? Is the door lined with an asbestos sheet or is it a heavy door which may have asbestos in it, or are there asbestos shelves?

I live in a bottom floor flat so I don't have any access to look above it.
The sides of the cupboard are plasterboard because there is a light switch in side of the cupboard inside my bedroom (pic uploaded).

My combi boiler is in the other cupboard. I don't think that cupboard ever had anything in it.
The cupboard door is a thin picece of rubbish **** the council put in cheaply. The cupboard door is not heavy at all.
There is no shelves in the cupboard at all. It's empty except a few shelves I put up badly.

The last pic is the only piece that sounds like wood. Rest tapping on it should be just the plasterboard as shown in one of the pics with light switch.

Attachments

• 20200514_142834.jpg
    20200514_142834.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 240
  • Inside cupboard roof.jpg
    Inside cupboard roof.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 243
  • both doors top.jpg
    both doors top.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 245
  • bottom.jpg
    bottom.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 20200514_142749.jpg
    20200514_142749.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 259
Sponsored Links
What's the plan with the light switch?

The light switch that is currently in this cupboard will be moved to the wall where the bedroom door currently is.
Once the cupboard is removed, the door in the picture will be moved over to the right.Where the door is now will be made into a wall and the light switch will be moved on the new wall.
So the door in the picture will not exist once the cupboard has gone.

My bedroom is really small and moving this cupboard and having the door there will give me the extra space needed.

I uploaded the pics of the light swtich to show the cupboard was just plasterboard.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 232
The red colour is the cupboard I want to remove. The blue colour is my bedroom door and the green colour is the cupboard door going into my hallway.
Once the cupboard wall x2 (red) have been removed. the door (blue) will moved moved over to the door (green).
Where the blue door is now. That entrance will be made into a wall and the entrance to my bedroom will be from the green door.

Attachments

• T153625_87065.jpg
    T153625_87065.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 207

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back