Can't get the staff

Sponsored Links
Trouble is, we've taken on the liability of millions more immigrants in recent years. And we're STILL short of key staff.

Maybe if we stopped accepting millions of immigrants with zero to offer, our services wouldn't be overwhelmed. :idea:
Net migration hovers around 250k a year with a few peaks here and there.

You are the ideal citizen in the eyes of those responsible for strategic planning in this country. Blame the immigrants, ignore the fact most of the issues derive from p1ss poor forward planning.

Was watching a news prog last night and they interviewed a few UK businesses (pubs, restaurants) that simply can't get the staff. One of them has been advertising a particular vacancy for 6 months. Another has seen their staff numbers drop from something like 35 to 16, meaning they can only open 2 days a week.

Granted some of these jobs won't be that well paid, however I can't get my head around why the 1,000,000+ vacancies we have across the UK aren't being filled.

Wait, wait, I've got it. All those born in the UK must be employed at present, cause as we know, UK'ers are never idle. That just leaves those pesky foreigners who are, as we all know, constantly idle. Yes, that must be it.

Net migration hovers around 250k a year with a few peaks here and there.

You are the ideal citizen in the eyes of those responsible for strategic planning in this country. Blame the immigrants, ignore the fact most of the issues derive from p1ss poor forward planning.
It made me smile to read Michael o'Leary's comment about the govt. being unable 'to run a sweet shop'.
I thought of all those overpriced stores on Oxford St. opened to sell huge boxes of American candy to suckers and tourists. All of them deserted because they can't afford/won't pay such garish merchandise. A good metaphor for Tory Britain.

Sponsored Links
Wanting the UK (as opposed to the EU) to have the say in who comes over here from abroad to work does not equate to hating foreigners.

I've said it before and I’ll say it again; Just because we buy oranges from Miguel in Spain and sell cheese to Gunther in Germany, that should not give Mihails and Co. from Latvia the right to just come over here, work for a poor U.K. living wage but a very good Latvian living wage, live ten to a house and price George from England out of a job on the building site.
Do you support the RMT Union strike?

We do already have lots of foreigners, many of them doing little or nothing productive.
Yes indeed, with names like Kwarteng, Patel, de Pfeffel, Raab, Sharma, Sunak, Vara and Zahawi. Useless, sponging immigrants - they should all be sent packing.... ;)

Are you forgetting the millions that we (via the government) pay not to work?
Believe it or not, all these millions don't actually have the necessary training, qualifications and skills to actually get a job on a building site and contrary to popular belief we do have some skills (despite Tory ministers thinking otherwise). "Labourers! Make them all labourers!", I hear you say (perhaps) - the only the thing is that labourers are not and for a long time have not been a large part of the site workforce (example: last job at peak we had 25 to 30 dry liners, they only ever had 2 to 3 labourers maximum; my employers at peak had 26 joiners and 2 or 3 labourers. This is because all unloading and heavy lifting is typically done by one trained guy in a telehandler or on a remote operated crane these days). So the construction industry can't actually accommodate that many - our biggest need is trained trades, and let's face it they tend not to arrive in rubber boats on beaches near Dover!

Furthermore, were you aware that on medium to larger sites (where CSCS cards are more or less mandatory) that even the labourers are now required to have formal health and safety training to get their card?

They wear sandals on the building sites.
That's a fallacy. You are thinking about Spain or Africa, then maybe. Never seen it here (but then I've avoided sh1t end of the stick cowboy firms for decades). The nearest is probably those cowboys you sometimes see doing soffits and fascias or PVCu windows - and even those numpties tend to wise up after they drop something on their foot or xstyb their toes badly and have to have time off, or even a visit to A&E, to get things sorted.

By any chance are you and Mottie both reading the same book called something like "The Big Book of Building Site Fairytales"? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you forgetting the millions that we (via the government) pay not to work?
Yes, they're called pensioners. Useless, workshy, bone idle shower the lot of them. They should all be forced to go to work instead of lounging around at home all day sponging off the state! ;)

Never underestimate how bad things are; most building sites are Bob the Bodger ones and the bodgers all wear sandals.
In terms of numbers they aren't, though. Bob the Bodger tends to struggle to build one house, let alone an estate of 50 houses, or a mill conversion with 100 apartments, or a block of 400 apartments (remember, my stamping ground is Manchester). I don't know how long it is since you retired, or how long you were on sites (if ever), but you have a rather weird perspective on how the industry works nowadays

Believe it or not, all these millions don't actually have the necessary training, qualifications and skills to actually get a job on a building site
Believe it or not those people could become trained and skilled if we had a decent government. It would cost money, but as we have seen in the last 2 years the government can bring into existence billions of pounds from nowhere in an instant. Getting them off benefits and into work is money saved. Ending immigration is money saved, lives saved, culture saved, space saved, crime down, friendlier neighbourhoods, easier communication and a thousand-and-one more good things.

Why do we have a shortage?
None of the younger generation is interested in doing Chemistry or Biology for their A Levels. There are too many school leavers and too many who do not go to university. Blame them. They are the reason we do not get home grown Doctors and Nurses.

Our kids have to do A level Chemistry and Biology and then go to uni and do a 5 year MBBS degree and come out with a student loan that needs to be repaid. The govt then imports foreign doctors from 3rd world countries .... who paid someone to get a fake MBBS degree and then coem here do a 1 year PLAB course and then they become your Doctor!!!! This is utterly shocking!

Believe it or not those people could become trained and skilled if we had a decent government.
I do believe it and I have in the past worked with YTS people, a few of whom genuinely wanted to get on (only a few, mind you, the rest were just slackers). I wish we had a government which realised that. Sadly, we don't, and that isn't new

Sponsored Links
Back