Can't get the staff

You often see hopeful immigrant workers queuing up outside the diy type places in the morning hoping for a builder to take them on for a days work for half a days pay.
And there you have it "DIY places". Just what sort of builder buys much from B&Q? Fly-by-night middle class "property developers" who've watched a few programmes on TV by "big boobed Beeny" and want to get rich quick by employing cheap labour? Dodgy b ack street builders who aren't properly qualified and are dodging HMRC at every turn? Or maybe moody Ethiopians doing cash jobs for the same, picking up illegals and paying them cash in hand, perhaps? If this is so much of an issue for you why not report these places and people to the immigration or HMRC, or write to your (presumably Tory) MP and get something done about it? TBH I'd be glad to see them all go

Those guys you see being picked up are most likely day labourers, not tradesmen, and always were (it's easy to tell the tradesmen - they have quantities of tools and at least a car or a dodgy old van). And despite your obviously bigoted view of things, most of the Eastern Europeans we lost before and after Brexit were qualified tradesmen working as subs, through agencies or even cards in, and most were (a) competent and (b) not lazy. But what do I know - I just work in construction, whilst you are...

... oh yes, a car mechanic.

Come on, get real! There always was cash in hand work being offered by unscrupulous individuals, and there probably always will be. There is a major shortage of skilled tradesmen in the construction trades which successive governments have actually exacerbated over a 40 year period and this government having made things worse is doing naff all about resolving the problem (or many others for that matter, because they are too busy fighting each other and not actually running the country)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
To many dead beat pencil pushers and paper shufflers in the building game

To many middlemen who do f all
Of consequence except scam off money from the trade / industry

Government funded schemes / incentives are generally a waste of space

Afai am concerned if some one cannot explain to me in 5 minutes exactly what they do for a living that makes sense

I would kick there arrus’s out the door so quick they would have a nose bleed thinking about it :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Why do we have a shortage?
None of the younger generation is interested in doing Chemistry or Biology for their A Levels. There are too many school leavers and too many who do not go to university. Blame them. They are the reason we do not get home grown Doctors and Nurses.

Our kids have to do A level Chemistry and Biology and then go to uni and do a 5 year MBBS degree and come out with a student loan that needs to be repaid. The govt then imports foreign doctors from 3rd world countries .... who paid someone to get a fake MBBS degree and then coem here do a 1 year PLAB course and then they become your Doctor!!!! This is utterly shocking!
No you're wrong.

It's the immigrants ... the immigrants ... THE IMMIGRANTS

EVERY SINGLE THING WRONG IN THIS COUNTRY IS THEIR FAULT, DON'T YOU GET IT?!?

I think it's terrible. All these billions of immigrants are thick, aren't they.
Haven't had any education, any of them. Come here from bongo bongo land without a word of English.

That's right, isn't it?

1659114793246.png

Hmphh. They must have got one of the immigrants to do the counting.:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Plum? Better than being a puddin' I suppose. In any case, it doesn't change the fact that these people are mainly labourers and the vans picking them up won't have McAlpine, Bowmer & Kirkland, ISG, etc on the sides...

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't had any education, any of them. Come here from bongo bongo land without a word of English.

When mottie was an economic migrant, no doubt he learned Afrikaans and IsiZulu before he migrated.

When mottie was an economic migrant, no doubt he learned Afrikaans and IsiZulu before he migrated.
Firstly, I wasn’t an economic migrant. I was earning less in RSA that I was here although it was a good salary for out there - we were paid more than the locals, plus bonuses. Secondly, why would I need to learn a language I would never need to use? Do English workers need to learn Welsh if they work in Wales?

My trip to South Africa 40 years ago is a perfect example of what should happen when someone is going to work abroad. I had a two year contract in Cape Town.

1. The job vacancies could not be filled by the indigenous population (The company recruited ten Brits to work in various branches).
2. I had a work permit and job to go to arranged by my employer.
3. I had accommodation arranged by my employer..
4. I had a full, private health check arranged by my employer before the job offer was finalised - presumably so that I wasn’t going to be a drain on the RSA health service.
5. I had an open return ticket paid for by my employer.
6. I had health insurance arranged by my employer.
7. I could speak one of the official languages of the country.

These are basic things that should apply to any person working in another country whether it’s Brits going abroad or others coming here. I can’t see any problem with that whatsoever.

You often see hopeful immigrant workers queuing up outside the diy type places in the morning hoping for a builder to take them on for a days work for half a days pay.

I don’t believe that.

Last edited:
No you're wrong.

It's the immigrants ... the immigrants ... THE IMMIGRANTS

EVERY SINGLE THING WRONG IN THIS COUNTRY IS THEIR FAULT, DON'T YOU GET IT?!?

No you're wrong; every single thing wrong in this country is due to Labour and Conservative governments - they abandoned their own people and let the foreigners in.

That's right, isn't it?

View attachment 275608

Hmphh. They must have got one of the immigrants to do the counting.:unsure:

We have so many workshy and uneducated in this country because of Labour and Conservative governments - they have abandoned their own people and let foreigners in.

Yes but you believe the EU is the top global superpower so that does tend to suggest you are, at the very least, borderline mental.
I have never said that, nor do I believe it.

However the EU is a global superpower with a gdp similar to USA. That’s a fact

Sponsored Links
Back