Can't get the staff

Sponsored Links
I was asking Mr 'I'm not showing you pictures of empty shelves at my supermarket to back up my claim, you just have to believe me'
Bora da!

If you'd like I'll post you some taken at my local supermarket last week. Loads of empty shelves. I had a quick chat with the assistant manager yesterday; he told me that rather than increase prices too much many suppliers are reducing pack sizes, that they were having distribution problems because of the near ending of "cabbotage", that some suppliers had reduced their ranges due to Brexit, and that some products were in short supply due to crop failure and the war in Ukraine (e.g. corn oil, sunflower oil, mustard, etc). All in all not good.

As to speaking Welsh in Wales, there are parts of west and north Wales where you pretty much have to speak Welsh to make a living in the off season (been there, done that)

Sponsored Links
If you'd like I'll post you some yaken at my local supermarket last week. Loads of empty shelves. I had a quick chat with the assistant manager yesterday; he told me that rather than increase prices too much many suppliers are reducing pack sizes, that they were having distribution problems because of the near ending of "cabbotage", that some suppliers had reduced their ranges due to Brexit, and that some products were in short supply due to crop failure and the war in Ukraine (e.g. corn oil, sunflower oil, mustard, etc). All in all not good.
Yes please. I can then compare them with the stock at my supermarket. @Notch7 , feel free to join in with your empty shelves.

Blimey every time some thing is in short supply or there is a gap on a shelf in some shop the remoaners appear to jump up and down blaming it on brexit ????

My local shop, hardly any tinned fruit, no Febreze or own brand, no laundry pre-wash spray, no own brand detergent, no tomato juice, no grapefruit juice, no fruit pies

As to speaking Welsh in Wales, there are parts of west and north Wales where you pretty much have to speak Welsh to make a living in the off season (been there, done that)

Pretty much impossible to work in the public sector without Welsh language. A mates grand daughter managed to get a job in the local Tesco shop in Porthmadog, but only after undertaking to sign up for Welsh language lessons.

Beautiful part of the world though.

What, you can't get pineapple chunks in your hardware shop?
You know, I've found it difficult to get slates from my local Morrisons. I've complained times, but they just tell me to try LiDL instead. Anyone wouls rhink they didn't want the trade

Yes please. I can then compare them with the stock at my supermarket. @Notch7 , feel free to join in with your empty shelves.
how do photographs prove your supermarket has the same range of goods it did before Brexit.

they dont
they prove nothing

how do photographs prove your supermarket has the same range of goods it did before Brexit.

they dont
they prove nothing
Simples. You show me what’s missing in yours and I’ll look for it in mine. If I can’t find it, it could show a general shortage. If I can find it it mine, it’s not a general shortage.

Or alternatively you do what I did yesterday, and talk to a manager. It probably isn't in their best interests to tell lies to regular customers, and in any case he did specifically quote from their trade magazine, "The Grocer".

I already happened to know that their logistical problems are down in part to Brexit. Whilst they own/lease their own trucks, a mixture of class 1 and class 2 vehicles, they used to employ a fair few agency staff as well as using cabbotage to cover their deliveries. Since Brexit there has been a marked decline in the amount of cabbotage using EU drivers in the UK and a lot of Eastern European drivers have simply left and won't return. So there is now a shortage of drivers.

The food manufacturers, many of whom had a goodly percentage of Eastern European staff on their production lines have also lost staff - and have consequently had to cut some of the more labour intensive products out of their ranges.

I live in an area where there is still quite a bit of agriculture, but where local abattoirs have been struggling not only to get slaughtermen and butchers, but where they sometimes have had to curtail production because there are no inspection vets available to oversee livestock health (a legal requirement). Grom my locsl butcher who I have known for more than 20 years (and not least because we used to drink in the same pub)

I've noticed that a lot of the fresh produce we buy has a shorter shelf life than was previously the case - partly logistics, but also partly lack of picking staff (East Europeans again)

And on and on this goes. But Brexit supporters seem to have "Nelsonian 20/20 vision" and fail to see anything going wrong. And, like many other things in life, if you refuse to admit that there is something going wrong (like, say, an alcoholic), then you will hardly be willing to take steps to fix it. Note, I am saying fix it, not rejoin, not remake the world, but actually just FIX IT!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Back