Changing old round pin socket for modern one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You found it, its for lights only as in on the lighting circuit. Of course you can swap it out for a nicer version.
You could swap the round pin socket for a 13 amp socket, This enables a plug top power supply to be used to power a lamp that is switched by the switch on the socket.

Sponsored Links
You COULD do, bearing in mind that if a vacuum cleaner or a fan heater is plugged in, the lights will go out due to an overload trip.

It is permitted to put a 13A socket on a lighting circuit, but this is more often done for a defined and known small load, such as an aerial amplifier in a loft, or a fairy lights plug-in power supply in a porch, where no socket circuit is available and the socket can be clearly labelled, and is unlikely to be overloaded.

The round pin socket for lighting is quite common, though I suppose most householders will not know about them.

You could swap the round pin socket for a 13 amp socket, This enables a plug top power supply to be used to power a lamp that is switched by the switch on the socket.

To be honest, because it's only going to be used for a desk lamp and because we've got the modern 13A socket on the same wall for anything else, I've ordered this unswitched 5A round pin socket and I'll just wire a round pin plug to the table lamp we will be using:

Sponsored Links
I agree, as above - if it changed from a 5amp outlet, to 13amp outlet, further assuming it is properly earthed, it is perfectly safe, but the risk is of someone it is a normal 13amp outlet and using it for the likes of a vacuum cleaner or a heater. Likely, that would take out the fuse, also plunging the room into darkness - adding a clear label would help mitigate that possibility.

But it would be very bad practice to do so. Somone will plug in a large loadand plunge the upstairs into darkness.

But it would be very bad practice to do so. Somone will plug in a large loadand plunge the upstairs into darkness.
By regs that don't make sence and are not statuary.
Once again winny preaches his totally personal opinion that generations of expert panels don't know what they are doing when they write the British Standard , a standard written to protect us all from danger, a standard that specifically includes the use of a 13A socket on a lighting circuit. It seems winny has had some sort of devine revelation or premonition known only to him the use of this specifically listed type of circuit will be the death of mankind.

However there are hundred, thousands, possibly millions of them fitted in houses the length and breadth of the nation which are in use 24/365 without ever having any sort of problem, not even a hiccup and certainly not the dramatic fatalities winny constantly preaches. His 'advice' in this matter may be ignored with gay abandon and safety.

I have 4 such 13A sockets on lighting circuits in my home and have fitted many in previous homes.

Angularbanjo, please feel free to replace the old socket with 13A, if it will make you more comfortable add a lable stating 'Maximum 3A' or something similar. When you purchase a new lamp, if anything like my daughter every year or two! or you need to plug in phone charger etc you will regret replacing it with a 5A. Do ensure it is properly earthed please.

I have had a 13A socket on a lighting circuit for 20 years and the number of times that it has plunged me into darkness is exactly zero. I also have some lights on the power circuit. I like to live life on the edge. :)

I have had a 13A socket on a lighting circuit for 20 years and the number of times that it has plunged me into darkness is exactly zero. I also have some lights on the power circuit. I like to live life on the edge. :)
I have 2A round pin sockets for lighting use so if I swopped them for 13a sockets would I be in even more danger??...... With Winston's way of thinking I should be.....

Once again winny preaches his totally personal opinion that generations of expert panels don't know what they are doing when they write the British Standard , a standard written to protect us all from danger, a standard that specifically includes the use of a 13A socket on a lighting circuit.
Never assume that those in charge know what they talking about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back