Chipped Wheeliebins!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, they don't go faster...!

There are moves afoot to build chips into bins so that the authorities know how much rubbish we are throwing away. The less we throw away, the more we are recycling, goes the theory.

Now, I think we need to get up there with the likes of Holland where recycling is big. Even France recycles 10% more than we do!

There is limited space for landfill, and unless we want to live on a rubbish dump, I strongly feel we need to recycle as much as is possible, but for us to do this, those wanting us to recycle more have to make it easier for us. I went to the tip the other day with some aluminium cartons which I normally dump with the ally cans. A tip worker told me they don't accept aluminium other than cans....to my mind what's the difference? They're both the same metal... Its the same with plastic.. if your plastic comes in the form of bottles, that's OK. If it's jar lids, yog pots etc.. they don't want it. Crazy!!

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
Its the same with plastic.. if your plastic comes in the form of bottles, that's OK. If it's jar lids, yog pots etc.. they don't want it. Crazy!!

I can't really understand the Aluminium bit, 'cos as you say it's all the same stuff, I can understand the plastic bit though, as not all plastic is the same, the thing about bottles is they are often made of Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and are marked as such. couldn't agree more about the recycling, the thing about chipping bins though, I'd be suprised if that wasn't illegal, tantamount to spying.

The way is should work is that your given an annual weight allowance for waste, then a proportion of your council tax is allocated for refuse collection, subsequently for each kilo under your allowance, you get a rebate on next years council tax.

Doesn't address your lovely neighbours sticking all their rubbish in your bin though :D

A Chipped bin and waste weighed and identified by owner might work in the leafy suburbs of Sale and Doncaster.

But in towns with high levels of unemployment, deprivation and depravity, the heaps of black bags and old mattresses in alleyways will simply grow bigger.

JohnD said:
A Chipped bin and waste weighed and identified by owner might work in the leafy suburbs of Sale and Doncaster.

But in towns with high levels of unemployment, deprivation and depravity, the heaps of black bags and old mattresses in alleyways will simply grow bigger.

You can always indentify the culprits from the discarded Giro, slips / DNA on the sharps :D

Sponsored Links
Eddie M said:
I can't really understand the Aluminium bit, 'cos as you say it's all the same stuff, I can understand the plastic bit though, as not all plastic is the same, the thing about bottles is they are often made of Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and are marked as such.

Yeah, that's all well & good, but not all plastic bottles are the same material, though. Same as other plastic containers...

securespark said:
Eddie M said:
I can't really understand the Aluminium bit, 'cos as you say it's all the same stuff, I can understand the plastic bit though, as not all plastic is the same, the thing about bottles is they are often made of Polyethylene terephthalate (PET) and are marked as such.

Yeah, that's all well & good, but not all plastic bottles are the same material, though. Same as other plastic containers...

The point being that most are. I always wonder at our local recycling centre (AKA dump) about the metal container, who on earth sorts all that stuff out ? I know that the metal is automatically sorted into ferrous and non-ferrous metals, but that's hardly satisfactory is it, even in the ferrous section, you're going to get stainless / cast / plated / galvanised. Put all that into a smelter, and god knows what you're going to end up with.

Just spoken to Stockport MBC.

They say they can't recycle other types of Al. as it is a different grade to the cans.

They also say that they accept all plastic bottles, even though some may be unsuitable for recycling.

There are 7 types of plastic that can be recycled, so I asked why they don't put the type of plastics accepted on the skip, then other containers can be recycled, not just bottles.

Oh, it's too confusing for the punters, she said....GMS!

Eddie M said:
even in the ferrous section, you're going to get stainless / cast / plated / galvanised. Put all that into a smelter, and god knows what you're going to end up with.

I think you'll find that most of it gets burned off in the converter. The rest will only add to the quality of the steel.

securespark said:
Just spoken to Stockport MBC.

They say they can't recycle other types of Al. as it is a different grade to the cans.

They also say that they accept all plastic bottles, even though some may be unsuitable for recycling.

There are 7 types of plastic that can be recycled, so I asked why they don't put the type of plastics accepted on the skip, then other containers can be recycled, not just bottles.

Oh, it's too confusing for the punters, she said....GMS!

All a pile on non-degradable poo. Through proper legislation it should be possible to 1) limit the number / grades of material used 2) correctly mark them so that any prat who can read can chuck 'em in the right container. Surely it's not that difficult ?

securespark said:
There are moves afoot to build chips into bins so that the authorities know how much rubbish we are throwing away. The less we throw away, the more we are recycling, goes the theory.

Now, I think we need to get up there with the likes of Holland where recycling is big.
One of the items in recycling over there has been made so very easy I still wonder why it hasn't catch-on here:
Some fifteen years ago a new law/regulation was introduced: removal fee on electronics and white goods (and some other goods also). This means: whenever you buy a fridge, tv, a cooker or even an electric tooth brush you pay a small fee (if memory serves it was £ 1.00 for brush and £ 10.00 for fridge) to the supplier. For that fee your supplier has to take your old one away instead of you bringing it a land-fill (or what happens here most of the times dumping it in the country side).
Suppliers of goods can dispose of these old goods to dedicated recycle companies (regulated by law).

How easy can you make it, he?

BTW, if a wheelie bin was chipped, who or what is stopping my neighbour to fill my wheelie bin once it's been wheeled outside awaiting collection? (Paranoid is my second name ;)

Eddie, no it's not. I would say that all the plastic items I see today are marked clearly as to their content. So instead of having a "plastics" skip, you have one for LDPE, one for HDPE, one for PET, one for Polystyrene, etc.....

Wood. There isn't. John D pointed out one loophole, there are many. Mind you, I don't know that Doncaster equals Sale in leafy suburbs...!

why dont they start at the souce of the problem, instead of hitting the homeowners? Why does so much of what we but have to be so excessivly packaged? Simple so it looks more inviting to buy so the companies make bigger profits. We and then the councils then have to pick up the bill for disposal

Interesting JohnD mentioned Doncaster. Our green composting bins have a chip and barcode on them. They aren't currently used for anything, just there for future use. I think at the moment they are just monitoring uptake of them. IIRC, a bloke did come round with a hand held computer and scanned them, inputting data. But i cant see this meaning anything, because we can swap our bins with neighbours etc, they aren't marked with our house numbers or anything. All of Doncaster has green boxes for recycling. Some seem to be able to recycle plastic in them, but some cant. :(

All the different types of plastic makes it expensive to recycle, all the sorting etc. I mentioned a few days ago about Britains greatest cheap labour source - PRISONS! Make 'em work, sorting plastic ought to teach 'em!

Thermo said:
why dont they start at the souce of the problem, instead of hitting the homeowners? Why does so much of what we but have to be so excessivly packaged?
Right you are Thermo. Why should a tooth paste tube be packed in a box?

crafty1289 said:
Interesting JohnD mentioned Doncaster.

I just wanted an example of a leafy suburb where the residents are prosperous and inherently law-abiding ;)

Sponsored Links
Back