Churchill McDonnall Who is the real villain

Churchill was a white supremacist and a racist who claimed openly the white race was superior i every way to other races. The man held horrendous views. A terrible human being and a war criminal. Hes certainly no hero.

Where would we be if there were people with your views, and if people with your views were tolerated, back in the 30s and 40s?

Extinct.

Sponsored Links
Where would we be if there were people with your views, and if people with your views were tolerated, back in the 30s and 40s?

Extinct.

Im only stating the bare facts of what Churchill was. This stuff is no secret, his white supremacist views and racism has always been known.

I realise that I don't really know you, but you sound incredibly dumb. Too dumb to realise that if it wasn't for 'terrible human beings' like Winston Churchill, you might not have the freedom to air your liberal drivel in public. He may not be perfect, but he's definitely more perfect than the alternative. And I doubt the British people at the time, who were in imminent danger of invasion, cared that the person who stood up to REAL evil wasn't Mr Nice Guy.

Ive not said he wasnt a affetive wartime leader. That wasnt the question being asked.

You call me "dumb" yet fail to realise this thread was asking if hes a villian or not. As a racist white supremacist, and a history of war crimes including ordering a massacre in WALES of striking miners, he was very much a villian.

In my view effective wartime leader yes, hero? No.

Thank you for ur time.

Sponsored Links
As a racist white supremacist, and a history of war crimes including ordering a massacre in WALES of striking miners, he was very much a villian.
Home Secretary Winston Churchill's decision to allow the British Army to be sent to the area to reinforce the police shortly after 8 November riot caused much ill feeling towards him in South Wales.[3] His responsibility remains a strongly disputed topic.[4]..........Bit different to Churchill ordering a massacre of miners.

Churchill greatest talent perhaps was his writing and speaches. History has been kind to him by brushing out a great deal of his flaws which those not versed in nuance will miss.
No wonder you love Merkle and Germany..Thrown any paint over "bomber Harris" statue lately?..Nuance is 1 thing,,,twisting,re-writing history and judging peoples actions with the benefit of 70 years of hindsight is quite another..

No wonder you love Merkle and Germany..Thrown any paint over "bomber Harris" statue lately?..Nuance is 1 thing,,,twisting,re-writing history and judging peoples actions with the benefit of 70 years of hindsight is quite another..

Irony in that statement is lost on a person as dumb as you.

Tell me where I have twisted history. Go on Dumbo.

Extinct.
Are you of the view that GB (careful use of capital letters!) would lock up political dissidents in the 30's and 40's?
Internment of potential enemy aliens, yes, but political dissidents, I don't think so.
Although the UK did indeed lock up political dissidents in NI, it was then and now seen as counter-productive.

..crimes including ordering a massacre in WALES of striking miners
But he didn't though.

he was tasked with dealing with the Tonypandy Riot, in which coal miners in the Rhondda Valley violently protested against their working conditions. The Chief Constable of Glamorgan requested troops to help police quell the rioting. Churchill, learning that the troops were already travelling, allowed them to go as far as Swindon and Cardiff, but blocked their deployment; he was concerned that the use of troops could lead to bloodshed. Instead he sent 270 London police—who were not equipped with firearms—to assist their Welsh counterparts. As the riots continued, he offered the protesters an interview with the government's chief industrial arbitrator, which they accepted. Privately, Churchill regarded both the mine owners and striking miners as being "very unreasonable". The Times and other media outlets accused him of being too soft on the rioters; conversely, many in the Labour Party, which was linked to the trade unions, regarded him as having been too heavy-handed.

Mind you, given this:

When Asquith succeeded Campbell-Bannerman in 1908, Churchill was promoted to the Cabinet as President of the Board of Trade. In his Cabinet role, Churchill worked with Liberal politician David Lloyd George to champion social reform. In one speech Churchill stated that although the "vanguard" of the British people "enjoys all the delights of all the ages, our rearguard struggles out into conditions which are crueller than barbarism". To deal with this, he promoted what he called a "network of State intervention and regulation" akin to that in Germany. His speeches on these issues were published in the volumes Liberalism and the Social Problem and The People's Rights.

One of the first tasks he faced was in arbitrating an industrial dispute among ship-workers and their employers on the River Tyne. He then established a Standing Court of Arbitration to deal with future industrial disputes, establishing a reputation as a conciliator. Arguing that workers should have their working hours reduced, Churchill promoted the Mines Eight Hours Bill—which legally prohibited miners working more than an eight-hour day—introducing its second reading in the House of Commons. In 1908, he introduced the Trade Boards Bill to parliament, which would establish a Board of Trade which could prosecute exploitative employers, establish the principle of minimum wage, and the right of workers to have meal breaks. The bill passed with a large majority. In May, he proposed the Labour Exchanges Bill which sought to establish over 200 Labour Exchanges through which the unemployed would be assisted in finding employment. He also promoted the idea of an unemployment insurance scheme, which would be part-funded by the state.

you can see why he is such a hero to woody, andy and R&C, so keen are they on worker's rights, state intervention and regulation, and benefits.

All quoted text from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill

Are you of the view that GB (careful use of capital letters!) would lock up political dissidents in the 30's and 40's?
Internment of potential enemy aliens, yes, but political dissidents, I don't think so.
Well we did 20 years earlier, so why not?

Well we did 20 years earlier, so why not?
Potential enemy aliens in WW1, yes, concentration camps in the British Empire, yes, political dissidents in NI, possibly. But I wasn't aware of interning political dissidents in GB. Can you elaborate please?

Potential enemy aliens in WW1, yes, concentration camps in the British Empire, yes, political dissidents in NI, possibly. But I wasn't aware of interning political dissidents in GB. Can you elaborate please?

Were not some trade unionists imprisoned under wilsons government ? I Beleive one of em was Ricky Tomlinson (?) who became an actor on tv and film ?

Sponsored Links
Back