Collection of building rubbish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Shortly I will have a quantity of old tiles, plasterboard and plaster, plus a few old bricks etc. In all this will probably go into a dumpy bag. The question is which is cheapest - dumpy collection or a 2yd skip.

Sponsored Links
Either way, you need to keep the plasterboard separate

For a small load, the cost is mostly in the transport not the waste

Some skip companies do bulk bag collections about £75. Cheaper than hippowaste

Shortly I will have a quantity of old tiles, plasterboard and plaster, plus a few old bricks etc. In all this will probably go into a dumpy bag. The question is which is cheapest - dumpy collection or a 2yd skip.

Can you not take it yourself down your local dump?

Sponsored Links
In Lancashire we now have an allowance of 10 bags per year per household.
Otherwise we pay £3.xx each.

Hence once this was introduced instances of fly tipping increased.

Depends where you live. Some counties still accept soil, rubble and plasterboard FOC at the HWRC- check your local council website & see what's what

Depends where you live. Some counties still accept soil, rubble and plasterboard FOC at the HWRC- check your local council website & see what's what
£4 per rubble sack at my local amenity tip, for building waste like concrete, bricks etc.

Country lanes around here all have fly tipped rubbish, often at field gates.

Our tip is still free still and works well...
We still get alot of fly tipping... I'm sure it would not be hard to crack down this scum

My civic amenity sites allow residents not driving a van or pulling a trailer to rock up with waste, AFAICT no restrictions on how much per trip or how many trips per day/week/month/whatever.

AFAICT the only restriction is how much you are able to drag out of your boot and lift to chest height to dump into the bays.

And from experience I would advise not being too optimistic about that.

My civic amenity sites allow residents not driving a van or pulling a trailer to rock up with waste, AFAICT no restrictions on how much per trip or how many trips per day/week/month/whatever.

AFAICT the only restriction is how much you are able to drag out of your boot and lift to chest height to dump into the bays.

And from experience I would advise not being too optimistic about that.

I do rock up in my big van.
In fairness it is my stuff and obviously not plumbing.

But there are alot of commercial vans that do use it

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely it depends on how much you have to dispose of. As you haven't quantified it how can we possibly tell. Try calling somewhere local and ask them the price

It amazes me how many trades abuse local tips. It's also no surprise that they have started charging and as a result, fly tipping has increased. Low life 'tradesmen' fekkars.

I do rock up in my big van.
:rolleyes:

Why should it?
I was practically born into the trade and have gone through the ranks. We always used skips etc.

It's when you get that fuzzy confused migration period from jobbing handyman mowing folk's lawns for a cup of tea and a cake to full blown trade making a living from replacing gutters to taking down trees and hedges.

You see them all the time with their Mondeo estate (what was once the family car), packed to the roof with hedge cuttings and a couple of lengths of cast iron gutter sticking out of the passenger window.

Sponsored Links
Back