Come & Have A Dig At The O.P (mega banter thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tony, do you have any suggestion for what treatment i should go for first? Its getting worse, i have turned the CH dial down a bit to keep it quiet. I have not added anything yet.

Sponsored Links
There are several different systems for measuring hardness.

There is a conversion calculator here:-

http://www.cactus2000.de/uk/unit/masswas.shtml

But the problem we have here is that we think your water is comparatively soft but we don't really know what is causing your kettling. But the burner pressure seems to be correct.

While on CH, can you measure the boiler flow temperature? That should be a nominal differential of about 11 C. That will hopefully prove the pump operation and so the flow through the boiler is correct.

It would be nice to have some further suggestions from some of the other pros here too.

Tony

cheers tony, here is the conversion results below, im not sure if it makes things any clearer. What do i need to do, measure the temp difference between the flow and return pipes? What do i use for this task?

Sponsored Links
I dont have such a thing, i cant afford to buy anything either a sim unemployed, is there a cheap way of conducting this test? Do i need to set the CH to max and open all the rads to max?

Put the boiler onto heating and leave for 10-15 minutes to stabilise and then practice gripping the flow and return pipes firmly to the same hand pressure. The boiler must be firing while you do this.

Then tell us how hot each feels.

A good description is how many seconds you can hold each for at your practiced tightness.

Before you put anything in I want to be sure we have exhausted all other possibilities.

Tony

Yes, Ian, but what do you think is causing his kettling?

Put the boiler onto heating and leave for 10-15 minutes to stabilise and then practice gripping the flow and return pipes firmly to the same hand pressure. The boiler must be firing while you do this.

Then tell us how hot each feels.

A good description is how many seconds you can hold each for at your practiced tightness.

Before you put anything in I want to be sure we have exhausted all other possibilities.

Tony

Cheers Tony

I opened all radiators on full, opened upstairs windows to try and keep the boiler firing.

The first time i tried it i had the CH set to max, the pipes were too hot to touch, i then let the system cool and set the CH to 50%. The temp lights on the boiler were at 60 deg.

Flow - count of 1
Return - count of 9

That's seconds to hold?

The differential should be about 11 C for your boiler.

That should be noticeable to the touch but not such a big difference.

How would you describe how the pipes felt in words?

It makes me wonder of there is insufficient heating flow rate.

What make of pump and what speed setting is it on?

Tony

Yes, Ian, but what do you think is causing his kettling?
I havent a clue Tony but it is not a Scaling problem and no matter what you ask the op to do wont make it a scaling problem he lives in a soft water area

What we know is that he says it is kettling.

Well Ian, do you agree that you can get kettling in the absence of any limescale?

When we have cleared up the H flow rate, what do you suggest he does first?

Tony

Its a grundfos pump, the installation manual shows a setting switch on the side of the black plastic cover, my pump does not have this. How is the speed adjusted on mine?

Im not sure if its relevant, when i switch my heating on, ch set to max, its quiet for a few mintues, then the kettling starts, after 10 minutes its silent. It does not return, it seems to do it if the boiler has cooled down.

Edit, i did the test again, ch set to max, gave it time for the water to circulate, the flow i could only touch it and let go immediately, the return i could touch for 1 second. This sounds more like what you suggested.

Last edited:
To save cost some pumps supplied for OEM boiler installation don't have the selector and are internally set to the maximum flow.

When the boiler starts the burner is on the maximum power and as the water warms up the burner modulates to less power.

So as expected it only kettles on full power.

The differential should be about 11 C for your boiler.

That should be noticeable to the touch but not such a big difference.

How would you describe how the pipes felt in words?

Ian is being rather quiet so I will have to make a suggestion when you have answered the bold above.

This is not a simple situation to diagnose otherwise all the other engineers on here would be posting their thoughts.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back