Conduit Junction Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening All,

I'm after an electrical junction box/pit that can be buried with a cover at ground level, similar to a drain inspection/rodding point.

I have a need to properly enclose come control cables (low voltage) correctly. They were buried by contractors before we bought our property but essentially 3 pieces of underground conduit meet each other for the cables to take different routes but nothing is joined, so there are cables not suitable for burial in the soil.

I've dug everything out and will be replacing the cables but would like to do it properly, so what do I need? I've seen some items that look perfect but they're either mega mega expensive or impossible to find to buy.

Only needs to be a small rectangular size, maybe 30-40cm long to take in a couple of 63mm flexible conduit runs.

TIA

Sponsored Links
The only electrical junction suitable for burying in the soil is a resin filled one.

If you just want to enclose the cables without joints. Get some plastic plumbing pipe joined at a common point by a plastic manhole and cover.

meant for earth rods

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Produc...=finalurl_v2&gclid=COaH_aj8i9QCFYML0wodeAEKZw

MTETC.JPG

The only electrical junction suitable for burying in the soil is a resin filled one.

If you just want to enclose the cables without joints. Get some plastic plumbing pipe joined at a common point by a plastic manhole and cover.

Any joints will be made in suitable smaller IP rated/resin filled enclosures but I need an accessible box to run the conduit to and enclose everything if that makes sense? It'll be at the side of the driveway, no foot or vehicle traffic. A lift of lid like a drain cover would make servicing joints/running new cables easier.

Sponsored Links
If you are replacing the cables, can you engineer out the joints?

Or make them internally?

Ironside - this advice is flawed. You should use ducting and chambers meant for electrical cables, so that nobody ever mistakes them for drainage.

What size and type of cables are they and what are they controlling?

If you are replacing the cables, can you engineer out the joints?

Or make them internally?

It's a bit a of daft setup, I can remove the joints but I've got some 63mm conduit bringing the cables out from the building up to this "junction", some wires continue to a control box others branch off into a smaller but rigid conduit that goes under the driveway. I don't think I'll get a joint for the two conduits so was hoping to enclose it like an accessible joint, but struggling to find anything useful?

Some photos would be very useful.

Yes, I'll get some later on. The cables themselves are 8 core alarm cable used for gate sensors and an intercom system which is the correct cable but not done the way I would approach it....going to be swapping it all for appropriate externally rated cable.

Thanks for the replies so far folks. The google search results are the same as I've been seeing but finding some of the ideal boxes is nigh on impossible - loads in the US though! Or they are very expensive for what is a small plastic box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back