Consumer unit area

Type Testing is the answer for Ban!
It is the answer to neither of my questions.

Please don't use Block Capitals all the time - it is considered bad manners.
I didn't use them all the time, I used them in an (apparently fruitless) attempt to get you to spot two important questions.

The words pot and kettle come to mind when you start accusing people of bad manners.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Consumer Unit is a terrible name, not even vaguely electrical, and patronising to boot. They should be called 'distribution board' or 'electrical board/panel' or 'mains circuit board', or something. Depending on the situation i still use 'fuse-board' often, as everyone knows what you mean, nobody (except electricians and DIY geeks) has a clue what a 'consumer unit' is.
How is it patronising? The term describes a particular kind of DB intended for use in a consumer's premises. I think the term "Distribution board for use by ordinary persons" might be considered more patronising!

Browse the Hager product information. It clearly states their CUs can accept fuse carriers, MCBs, RCBOs and RCDs.
Thought I would actually post this, just in case kai cannot find it:p

Screenshot 2016-04-29 11.03.25.png

Could you put that image in your signature? If kai sees something so awful each time he comes here then maybe he will stop coming.

Sponsored Links
It just seems pointless to mix up breakers and fuse holders on the same din-rail - The switch-fuse in the meter tails can safely handle the high PFC issues, so a breaker-only consumer board seems the ideal way forward, as there are B, C and D type breakers available. Note that MK do not make fuse holders for their boards at the present time.

It just seems pointless to mix up breakers and fuse holders on the same din-rail - The switch-fuse in the meter tails can safely handle the high PFC issues, so a breaker-only consumer board seems the ideal way forward, as there are B, C and D type breakers available. Note that MK do not make fuse holders for their boards at the present time.
PFC is not the issue. Most installations do not have a switch fuse to begin with, and the fuse in a switch fuse has a higher breaking capacity than any MCB. What's your point?

Do you really think if it was 'pointless' then manufacturers would make them?

There are times when you need a GUARANTEED method of disconnection of supply. I have experienced MCBs that have not opened under major fault current, I have never experienced a fuse to not open. Yes a 13A fuse in a plug may not operate before a breaker in some/many cases. But a fuse does not go faulty, it may become tired and blow before it should if it's abused, but if you apply a thousand amps of fault current to a teeny tiny piece of wire - it's going to melt away

I also note that MK do not offer a 3P+N distribution board. Is there a similarity there?

I also note that Hager currently offer 4 different types of fuse carries. Three for BS1361 fuses, and one for HRC BS88 fuses.

Must be pointless. I'll have to ring them on Tuesday and tell them to stop bother making them.

It just seems pointless to mix up breakers and fuse holders on the same din-rail
It would only seem pointless to someone who did not understand enough to be commenting on such things.

The switch-fuse in the meter tails can safely handle the high PFC issues
I would ask you to explain why that has anything to do with whether a fuse or an MCB is the most appropriate OPD for a given circuit, were it not for the certain knowledge that you would ignore such a request, either because you had no idea what it meant or because the penny had finally dropped that you are an ignorant buffoon making laughable pronouncements about things you don't understand.

so a breaker-only consumer board seems the ideal way forward, as there are B, C and D type breakers available.
It would only seem the ideal way forward to someone who did not understand enough to be commenting on such things.

Note that MK do not make fuse holders for their boards at the present time.
I would ask you to explain why that has anything to do with whether a fuse or an MCB is the most appropriate OPD for a given circuit, were it not for the certain knowledge that you would ignore such a request, either because you had no idea what it meant or because the penny had finally dropped that you are an ignorant buffoon making laughable pronouncements about things you don't understand.

Here's a suggestion for you Kai: Just go away, and do not come back. Even the funniest joke in the world becomes tiresome after you've heard it lots of times, and although you are indeed a joke, you are not the funniest one in the world.

How is it patronising? The term describes a particular kind of DB intended for use in a consumer's premises. I think the term "Distribution board for use by ordinary persons" might be considered more patronising!

A consumer unit sounds like a unit a consumer has (as in a cycle helmet is a helmet a cyclist has). We don’t call a DB in a commercial premises a ‘business unit’, but the client doesn’t know that. if you tell someone about their ‘consumer unit’, it implies they are a consumer, as you have done also (I call my customers clients because I don’t like ‘customer’) maybe that’s not the intended meaning but that’s how it can come across. Even ‘consuming unit’ would be better (though still poor). Maybe people aspire to being considered 'consumers'? Not many of the good clients around here I think. I see your point about DB in some situations but at least DB is descriptive, and it incorporates 'board', (same as fuseboard, the existing term everyone knows), and i suppose DB is already used for 3-phase boards so the logical name should be 'electrical board' or '(circuit) breaker board', or (mains) circuit board', or something board (maybe) but not 'consumer board', and certainly not 'consumer unit'. It's awful. :)

r (mains) circuit board', or something board (maybe) but not 'consumer board', and certainly not 'consumer unit'.
Almost certainly a term decided upon by the splendid IET. Probably after many long meetings and expensive lunches.
"Consumer Unit" is defined in BS7671 (have a read). If you have an issue with the term, then I am afraid you will need to make atrip to IET Towers.
Do let us know how you get on.

PS Although i may agree with you, I really don't think it is worth further discussion.

The 17th Ed. defines consumer unit thus:

"Consumer unit (may also be known as a consumer control unit or electricity control unit). A particular type of distribution board comprising a type-tested co-ordinated assembly for the control and distribution of electrical energy, principally in domestic premises, incorporating manual means of double-pole isolation on the incoming circuit(s) and an assembly of one or more fuses, circuit-breakers, residual current operated devices or signalling and other devices proven during the type-test of the assembly as suitable for such use."

The 16th Ed. did not have a definition for "Consumer Unit".

But it did have this:

"Distribution board. An assembly containing switching or protective devices (e.g. fuses or circuit-breakers, associated with one or more outgoing circuits fed from one or more incoming circuits, together with terminals for the neutral and protective circuit conductors. It may also include signalling and other control devices. Means of isolation may be included in the board or may be provided separately."

The 15th Ed. had this:

"Switchboard. An assembly of switchgear with or without instruments, but the term does not apply to a group of local switches in a final circuit.

NOTE -- In the Electricity (Factories Act) Special Regulations 1908 and 1944, the term 'Switchboard' includes a distribution board.

Switchgear. An assembly of main and auxiliary switching apparatus for operation, regulation, protection or other control of electrical installations."

The 14th Ed. had this:

"Distribution board. An assemblage of parts, including one or more fuses or circuit-breakers, arranged for the distribution of electrical energy to final sub-circuits or to other distribution boards."

Interestingly, the 15th Ed. describes "switchgear" as "an assembly of....switching apparatus for...protection...of electrical installations".

Then it describes "switchboard" as "an assembly of switchgear".

Then it says the term "switchboard" includes a distribution board.

So, to summarise:

In 1966, the regs defined DB.
In 1981, the regs dropped DB as a definition, but made reference to DB via a long-passed act.
In 1991, the regs reintroduced the definition of DB.
In 2008, the regs kept the definition of DB, but added the definition CU/ CCU/ ECU.

Phew, that was a lot of typing....:sleep:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back