Consumer unit boxing in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My consumer unit is located upstairs in one of the bedroom closets, can you buy clear plastic covers with access hatch etc that would enclose over this protecting from any potential roof leaks, pic of what I have below

B1FFA2DA-81B5-400A-914F-E3EA8FAC8547.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Rittal make a whole range of weatherproof enclosures many of which have an option for a viewing window.

upload_2020-3-12_13-27-43.png

You can find product info here.

Why are you worried about the roof leaking?

If you are, surely a sloped shelf (canopy) above the electrics would do.

Sponsored Links
That doesn't need protecting - it needs replacing.
Indeed! I hope the two RCDs serving the shower and the spa are fed via mcb's in the CU below, and not directly from the incoming supply!

The Armour coming up looks pretty poorly terminated and I agree with flameport

Indeed! I hope the two RCDs serving the shower and the spa are fed via mcb's in the CU below, and not directly from the incoming supply!

The spar bath (sic) is apparently fed from MCB number 11 (15A?), but the legend on the wall suggests MCB number 2 (6A). Somebody might have been counting from the opposite end I suppose, but it's anybody's guess.

Did Spar ever sell budget Jacuzzis that only draw <6A? :mrgreen:

As said that is not a consumer unit. Not sure what date the type testing started, but that converted fuse box is before that date, and until converted there would have been covers where the MCB's are now.

If you have a box with no back it can get water in from back, and to fit one with a back means removing and replacing the fuse box.

I know the Part P rules say consumer unit and that is not a consumer unit, but in real terms the rules are to protect you, so being pedantic to get around the rules will likely only hurt you.

As @EFLImpudence says a shelve above will likely protect enough, it is a double edge, if you box in any water will not dry out, so often better not to, but big question is why there is a potential of roof leaks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back