Croatia looking to Asia to fill worker gaps.

You've never worked on a building site then and never heard the phrase 'polish plumber'
I’ve worked in factories farms retail hotel and hospitality and health care and all those service areas benefitted hugely from eu workers. Family and friends in building and construction tell me m as my major civil infrastructure projects including major housebuilds wouldn’t have been possible in anything like the timescales achieved without eu workers.

That’s apart from fishermen who were right royally shafted by brexhit

Blup

Sponsored Links
I’ve worked in factories farms retail hotel and hospitality and health care and all those service areas benefitted hugely from eu workers. Family and friends in building and construction tell me m as my major civil infrastructure projects including major housebuilds wouldn’t have been possible in anything like the timescales achieved without eu workers.

That’s apart from fishermen who were right royally shafted by brexhit

Blup
Then the problem lies with not training enough people in this country and relying on cheap labour from countries where the £ buys more in their home country than it does here.
Hence undercutting home country tradesman. It's quite obvious major housebuilders are comfortable with that kind of situation.

Number of fish landed annually increased by 30,000 tonnes since brexit with a lot more to come.
Makeral and herring, mostly, but cod (a fish preferred by UK citizens) haa declined by half.

Some customers have been lost due to costs.
In Devon, Juliette Hatchman of South Western Fish Producers highlighted post-Brexit trade.

"The sheer cost of all the additional export paperwork is quite eyewatering. Whilst the extra costs have in part been absorbed into the selling prices to some EU customers, this has clearly resulted in the loss of some long-standing smaller EU (namely French) customers."

Sponsored Links
Bibby-Stockholm-_189bff5728e_large.jpg

I sincerely hope that's an old WW2 mine heading for the side of that vessel. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:

Then the problem lies with not training enough people in this country and relying on cheap labour from countries where the £ buys more in their home country than it does here.
Hence undercutting home country tradesman. It's quite obvious major housebuilders are comfortable with that kind of situation.
Housebuilders pay market rates, the undercutting is another name for free market competition which the tree- smoggs of this world live and die by. Thatcher destroyed the industrial base of this country and the children and grandchildren of those generations took revenge on her by voting to leave the eu., inflicting more damage on the economy. Where is the training now when it is needed?

Blup

Did we send eu workers home, there’s several million here permanently now, so much for taking back control. And what about our trade deal with India bringing their expertise to this county.

Blup

Yes, but most are settled, not seasonal workers. Farms need seasonal workers, and have been using European seasonal workers for centuries.
I guess we need to invite in more commonwealth countries. Get ready for Windrush, Part Deux.

I take it you don't work on a building site then?
At least those Polish/EU workers actually work...

Maybe you could remind us of the tens of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money you admitted to have purloined for work you never intended to do?

Yes, but most are settled, not seasonal workers. Farms need seasonal workers, and have been using European seasonal workers for centuries.
I guess we need to invite in more commonwealth countries. Get ready for Windrush, Part Deux.
There's a lot more indien workers in construction, fillyboy has pointed out when the new trade deal with them is going to be signed so keep em peeled. They look like hard workers to me.

Blup

Maybe you could remind us of the tens of thousands of pounds of taxpayers money you admitted to have purloined for work you never intended to do?
Why - have you forgotten already? <yawn> Okay, off topic but here we go again: Like millions of others in the country, I received tens of thousands of pounds that we were legally entitled to for not working from our wonderful Tory government. Furlough they called it. I remember that it upset you at the time and still does by the sound of it but that was just the cherry on the cake as far as I am concerned. Oh, I nearly forgot, my business also got tens of thousands of pounds chucked at it from my local authority. Didn’t really need it but well, you can’t look a gift horse in the mouth, can you?

Happy now? Let me know next time you think everyone needs reminding and I’ll gladly tell you the same again. (y)

Last edited:
I sincerely hope that's an old WW2 mine heading for the side of that vessel. :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
Which would result in an emergency evacuation involving many agencies diverting them from other duties, and substantial costs, be careful what you wish for

Sponsored Links
Back