Day Running Lights Obscuring Front Indicators

Highway Code rule 114 says;

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights.

Both my cars with 'Stop/Start' technology will start the engine with hand brake on and foot brake off...

Sponsored Links
Both my cars with 'Stop/Start' technology will start the engine with hand brake on and foot brake off...
So do you have to physically turn the handbrake off before you can move away? Or do you mean it applies an autohold function, if you car has such a feature.

Talking of which that's easily my favourite feature of my car (Golf), not so bothered about the electronic handbrake, I could happily live with out that, I'll not think about it if either of them ever go wrong of course but I love the autohold.

That said occasionally when parking on a steep hill in a tight space the autohold feature can become a complete PITA and needs to be turned off and that's when I really miss a normal handbrake too.

Last edited:
So do you have to physically turn the handbrake off before you can move away? Or do you mean it applies an autohold function, if you car has such a feature.

Talking of which that's easily my favourite feature of my car (Golf), not so bothered about the electronic handbrake, I could happily live with out that, I'll not think about it if either of them ever go wrong of course but I love the autohold.

That said occasionally when parking on a steep hill in a tight space the autohold feature can become a complete PITA and needs to be turned off and that's when I really miss a normal handbrake too.

So I stop at traffic lights, with footbrake applied engine stops; apply mechanical handbrake and take foot off footbrake - engine now starts, and then the auto trans car will want to creep, it doesn't 'cause the hand brake is usually on sufficiently to hold the car in place but it does place a load on the transmission, brakes and suspension . Have to physically release the handbrake befroe moving off.

Understad your frustration with AutoHold

Sponsored Links
Back