Day Running Lights Obscuring Front Indicators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it just me, or do others find that the bright LED day running front lights can make the indicators difficult to see? I have seen several modern cars waiting in the middle of the road facing me, and only been able to see the indicators when I'm level with the car. All these cars had the indicators immediately above the day lights, and their brightness made it really difficult to see the flashers and tell that the car was indicating to turn across in front of me.

Have others noticed this? Or should I go to Specsavers?

Sponsored Links
What I have noticed is that some modern cars have a dipped or cancelled running light, then the indicator can be visible.

The indicators i find difficulty with are on Fire Engines and some other Emergency [older] vehicles, there are loads of front facing blue high intensity flashing lights, which one is an indicator???

Me as well, some of the lighting designs are frankly stupid imho.

They have addressed this recently by shutting the headlights off in some cases but plenty of cars with the same "fault".

Sponsored Links
What I have seen on some cars is that, when indicating, the DRL on that side extinguishes.

Have others noticed this? Or should I go to Specsavers?

If anyone needs to do that it's the designers of these fiendish devices, all in the name of road safety but how is it safe if other drivers are distracted ?
It's all about profit at the end of the day. Dream up an idea, convince punters & legislators that it's a good idea, sell it & make money.

I can't help being a cynic, I've had decades of practice :whistle:

During daylight hours on a dark day heading down a very dark and thin lane with a heavy overhanging tree canopy, I was being followed by a new Mini with bright Led daylight running lights, a car approached us in the opposite direction and we had no choice but to reverse to a wider passing point, I could literally not see anything but this stupid Mini's lights as I reversed up the lane and had to blindly follow it's headlights, ridiculous!

The other one, of two that annoys me is at night standing in traffic at lights Etc, and the "new" car in front has its brake lights [all of them] illuminated, the driver has not lifted his foot of the brake pedal.

So you are up close and personal with high level lighting, side light all LED and bright.

The second one are bicycles at night, I have recently seen one guy with only a reflector to the rear at 1030 at night on a dual carriageway with a 40 MPH limit?
Or a very dim rear light that you can only see when less than 25 m. away? each one of these riders had no reflective clothing, indeed all were wearing black jackets.
It must be said that none of them appeared to be "regular" cyclists, probably someone trying to get from A-B as a one off venture??

The other one, of two that annoys me is at night standing in traffic at lights Etc, and the "new" car in front has its brake lights [all of them] illuminated, the driver has not lifted his foot of the brake pedal.
This is not a new phenomenon though, people have pulled up at junctions, in traffic etc since driving began and sat there with their foot on the brake, who realistically puts the handbrake on every time they pause?

Highway Code rule 114 says;

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights.

99% of drivers on the road, a significant number being "tradesmen" in white vans and women, have absolutely no clue where their indicator stalk is or their hand brake.

Highway Code rule 114 says;

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights.
Maybe so but who realistically applies the handbrake every single time they pause in a queue of traffic?
Perhaps a rule written when there were only a handful of cars on the road and queuing was much less likely.

99% of drivers on the road, a significant number being "tradesmen" in white vans and women, have absolutely no clue where their indicator stalk is or their hand brake.
That's quite a bold statement, not sure about your statistics there tbh! :)

Sponsored Links
Back