Deal for Cash?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it me or are people asking for this more and more? It seems to me in the last few months that virtually every job i go and quote on people want to be able to knock the vat off and pay cash. Whilst id love to its a virtual non starter, what with the way the vat man is and my wife being an accountant as well so we would risk her being struck off from her professional body. How does everybody else find it?

Sponsored Links
If your wife's an accountant - why are you working?

We are moving into a cash economy.

Migrants everywhere are working the black economy - just join them. You can't beat them.

Sponsored Links
Thermo said:
people want to be able to knock the vat off and pay cash. ..... How does everybody else find it?
Thermo, like you we think it's a non-starter and it doesn't happen many times that customers ask for cash-deals from us. If they do we can always tell them it's very hard for us to do, with importing most of our floors from The Netherlands (we mention E.U. controls etc, our suppliers being checked with the possibility that we become part of the check-up).

Besides that: if anyone asks if they can pay cash our standard reply is: yes, you can pay with cash, or cheque or debit card, no problem (one of the advantages of being foreign ;). After a strange look first we do get the message across: law is law, rules are rules, tax is tax and honesty is honesty. Refusing 'cash-payments' is IMO a sign of a professional business: we are not cowboys, all our supplies are from quality businesses also who abide the law, tax-rules as much as we do.

hermes said:
Most people declining to comment.

Worried that there are methods of this type of discussion being "monitored" and subsequently through whatever method, being harassed by the VAT man ?

I have been working in a branch of the building trade since March of this year, having spent the previous 33 years in manufacturing

It is a very cut throat business in the valleys, people constantly undercutting each other to keep a share of the business

If you approach a customer who suggests this type of business transaction you know if you say no, then the next supplier will say yes so what do you do?

From a customers point of view, if I can save 17.5% why not

This government is taxing us all to death anyway

i agree with all the comments, it just seems to be a lot more frequent in recent months

markie said:
Crimbo's cuming everyone's trying to save money. :)
coming. cuming is something entirely different.

Our electrician knocked £30 off for paying cash. said something about the vat man. :cool:

so long as there is cash available, people will take it and people will pay it.

various government regulations, involving licencing and registration, have made businesses more transparent in their financial dealings, but so long as there is good ole cash to be made, then we are always going to be very imaginative in side stepping such regulations.:cool:

god bless cash.

up yours brown. ;)

The problem is people want a deal for cash...but they want you to do it for half price..

If you tool 200 hundred quid for a job be it cash or otherwise and declared it you would pay somthing in the region of approx..25 quid tax nic out of it

Customers would want it done for 150...who benefits? them or you?

Plus too much cash is a pain if you dont declare it..and whats the point of having 3k stashed in the biscuit tin and bugger all in the bank account?

When you give some people a price for job the next words out of there mouth are either how much for cash or can you do it a bit cheaper?...

If you said 2 pence they would want it for 1

To the first question...in fact to pre-empt the first question I normally tell the price follwed straight away with 'cash or cheque I dont care'...that normally sorts thats one out..

To can 'you do it a bit cheaper' I normally just say...'why would I want to do that'...or...'yes if I use lesser quality materials'

I wont budge on a price....ever, because once you start, thats it...they will tell their friends to 'knock him down a bit'...and you end up having to haggle for every job.

Thy want you to earn less and still do the same job with the same materials.....do they ask for a cash discount in Tescos?

Its always the same...labour has no value to some people.

A word of advice a tax inspector gave me in a pub...'we know people pay in cash...we know builders etc accept cash...we know it isnt declared every time.

We are not stupid...and you know we cant catch everyone...just dont be greedy"

Wise and sensible words I thought...as I bought him a pint...cash! :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back