Decking attached to neighbours wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im getting my home renovated. Almost done. A deck is being installed in the back garden patio space. The neighbor has an extension, and the wall of this is rite on the border line, so i see the wall, by neighbor does not. The deck has been installed and screwed/attached onto this wall (my wife just sent me pictures as its being installed)

This seems wrong to me? I would be p'd off in my neighbor used my wall to attach something too. Ive not informed him as i didn't expect this, although he knows im getting work done, just not the deck. I was expecting support posts for the deck next to wall, a few mm's away, but not attached onto it. Not sure on the legalities of all this. Il be speaking with my builder when im home from work

Whats your thoughts ?

Sponsored Links
i would warn the people doing the decking that you expect a free standing structure.
I'd contact the neighbour with an apology and reassurance that you're taking steps, and maybe they will say it's fine.
but don't hope that they won't notice. By drawing their attention to it, they are more likely to say that it's fine v they discover it themselves and get stroppy

How close to the dpm is the top of the decking? I too would have thought this would be better being a free standing structure..

First thought is that your builder is a bit thick. Second thought is that he's lazy.

You could be in a **** load of trouble long after the builder has rode off into the sunset.

Sponsored Links
go out the front and secure some trelice to his van with string and a few climbers in pots and see what he says:D:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back