Derbyshire Police Being Over Zealous. Again.

Sponsored Links
These things are too difficult to successfully manage in a democracy. Before you go off on one, NO I'm not saying I'd rather we didn't (live in a democracy.) However because we're used to certain freedoms, getting everyone to comply with things like lockdown ain't going to happen. That's why we won't be out of this clusterf**k until a sufficient number of people have been vaccinated and, on that, I read something today saying it might need to be an annual jab similar to flu. Temp lockdowns that are then lifted, tinkering around the edges saying 'you can do this but not that' was never going to be a successful way to manage this. Government would have to have implemented an x months complete lockdown for all bar truly essential workers. And as we've discussed in other threads, that was never going to work as a longer term strategy due to economic implications, mental health implications and so on.

Sponsored Links
IMO the law has been written to be as flexible as possible, specifically because the govt. did not want to create a scenario where people were being fined for acceptable activities. As with lockdown 1, the list of reasons a person may leave their home is not exhaustive. Did the drafter screw up? No, they wrote it to give examples. 2 people driving 5 miles to go for a walk is within the rules. Plod should have given advice at best. Even with the massive increase in infections people still need to take care of their mental health and fitness.

The rules say I can meat a different person for exercise every day. But I should not go around the same persons house for a coffee. I suspect I am more at risk of spreading the virus meeting different people every day than meeting one person in their house.

That is exactly right, like much of UK law, it has been left open to some interpretation, in the expectation that some common sense will be used by the individual in interpreting the intention. If your MOT expires there is no set distance you are allowed to drive to have your car MOT'ed, if it fails, then you are allowed to then drive it to a place where it can be satisfactorily repaired - assuming it has no immediately dangerous faults. You would need to be able explain if stopped by the police, why you were driving so far to get these things done, but providing you had some reasonable excuse ready, there would be nothing they could do to prevent you.

Sponsored Links
Back