Designa Sockets

cdg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just about to set about changing the sockets, light switches etc in my house and was thinking of using MK Logic Pluses but I saw these Designa ones - seem cheap and was wondering whether to go for them. Would anybody recommend them (or to steer clear of them)? I don't want to bother if it's a false economy but if anyone's used them I'd appreciate an opinion.

CDG

Sponsored Links
What designa ones, where?

How much?

Where you getting them from (not eBay Hong Kong i hope!!)

Need a bit more than that :rolleyes:

Can't do much better - saw them in a local trade catalogue next to the likes of MK and they looked competitive but as you say, I don't want to bother if they are really poor. Just don't know anything about them.

MK still set a standard and tend to be THE choice of the majority.

OK they might be £3 a double socket against £2 for other makes, but on a average instal of 40 sockets we are talking +£40 over a 20 year service life, that's £2 a year.

Consider MK sockets and switches as an asset and over the service life of your electrical system what's a nominal £100 extra (at most) for the entire property to be wired to the industries best sockets and switches.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chri5 - I'm not doing it for the price though, it just so happens these are cheaper. It's the fact they are slimmer which attracts me (well, the other half) - I take your point and have used MK LPs last time around - I'd just like to know if anyone has used these ones successfully before or whether they are tat.

I've not used them, but as per flat profile metal sockets and switches, do consider that there's more to fit behind the socket and in the back box.

Back box depth can be a big issue when say changing kitchen sockets from MK to flat front in 25mm depth back boxes. Youre find that the lack of room can prevent the socket / fitting correctly.

Thanks again Chri5, I will bear that in mind when making the decision - does anyone else have an opinion on these, good or bad?

I've never heard of the company TBH.

Can you post a link to them?

There are lots of flat plate accesories available by brand name manufacturers (including MK) ;)

Chri5 said:
the industries best sockets and switches.

IMO, they used to be, but others have caught up. MK quality took a serious dive when they reduced their prices a good few years ago to become more competetive.

Their pendant assemblies are exactly the same as the ones I used to get from Denmans for 69p each...
In the old days, their lampholders etc were made by MEM - real solid stuff with thick metal retainers for the lamp cap.

The logic plus plateswitches have been redesigned - cheaper & nastier than before. Their dimmers were once fused. Now, if a lamp fails (and has no ballotini fuse inside it), the dimmers toast themselves.

Still good, but not as solid & thoughtfully designed as they were.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back