Diesel has gone up again..........

Don't be thick. Fuel is made from crude oil by fractional distillation. You get what you get by the distillation process depending on its specific gravity. You can't turn it all into diesel or benzene or whatever.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Some is thicker (fuel oils/lubricants) Some is thinner (benzenes etc) in relation to the thickness of water.

The bottom line is you get what you get from crude oil - not what you want.

Diesel is 121.9 (BP in Stockport).

Not so long ago, it was around 5p dearer than unleaded.

What's gong on?

Why aren't they (petrol & diesel) going up in tandem?

I read a ridiculous article (can't remember where), where an industry spokesman was quoted as saying the reason fuel is dear is because it is processed in plants built with 70's technology.

But hang on mate, that does NOT explain anything!

Because ptrol companies are offsetting the rising cost of the petrol and they hope we might not notice.. :rolleyes:

I wonder how much a horse costs to run?

A decent whip should set you back about £35

Sponsored Links
it's only just started.

No, it started in the 1890's. Wonder how much petrol was back then?

We had oil to waste in those days. In 1900 our population was 1.6 billion.
Today just 100 years later it is over 6 billion.
All because of oil (and coal). The world industrialised and our population boomed. Oil is running out, the demand ever rising. Population ever rising. Even a blind man should be able to see the iceberg ahead.

Don't be thick. Fuel is made from crude oil by fractional distillation. You get what you get by the distillation process depending on its specific gravity. You can't turn it all into diesel or benzene or whatever.

Fractional distillation is just the first step in refining crude. . The various fractions are then processed to make what is wanted.

They can make diesel into petrol for example.

dO NOT WORRY EARTHLINGS i bring you many alternate fuels from outer space, many marshans on there way to help you, we will be setting up or own petrol stations we dont need to invade you has we will rob you blind instead.

Fractional distillation is just the first step in refining crude. . The various fractions are then processed to make what is wanted.

They can make diesel into petrol for example.

Why would anyone want to turn a high calorific fuel like diesel into a lower calorific fuel like petrol when there is a shortage of diesel? :rolleyes:

Why don't they do it the other way round?

£1.17 at my local Tesco's. How does that compare with you Northern Pepes?

Thank goodness.
Lets hope we will see £5 per litre soon and then the vehicles will start disapperaring off our roads. :rolleyes:
Crude oil is expected to hit $125 dollars a barrel in the very near future. China and India are pushing ahead with a vast insatiable appetite for the stuff and western directed pipeline sabotage's are on the increase , so the omens are looking good. Their is also talk of a duty increase by Mr Brown.
We should see $200 per barrel in a few years. :D :D

Sadly our entire civilisation is built upon the premise that we have virtually free energy - oil. That free lunch is drawing to a close. As it prices itself out of the reach of our citizens and industry, unemployment will rocket. Only the rich will afford heating, and alas, worst of all, our food production is entirely dependent on oil and gas. To farm for the masses we must do so intensively, that means fertilizer and pesticides. Without those we cannot grow the crops to feed the people. Guess where fertilizers and pesticides come from.....

You are the eternal optimist JOE.

I remember you not being impressed with people training to be Energy Assessors too. :LOL:

...article in paper made me look last week . It said if you don`t do a lot of mileage its cheaper to have a petrol vehicle. Well it was ten bob a gallon cheaper for petrol and noticed the diesel was £1.17 i though **** thats dear

It's only cheaper to have a petrol car than diesel for low milagae if the purchase price of the car is significantly cheaper than a diesel. You have to work back the capital expenditure.

Perhaps the economics of running a diesel-engined car are changing despite the cost of fuel. Note Honest John's response to the following query in today's Telegraph:

I have a base-spec Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTi. I love it, even though it is underpowered, but I'm starting to accumulate bigger mileages and suspect I ought to buy a diesel for reasons of economy. Most are out of my price range (I like to buy cars at three years old and keep them for another three). Having spent ages looking, I think my sole option would be a Mazda6 2.0 diesel. I'd prefer a Mazda3, but couldn't really afford one.

I'm getting so many reports of failed dual mass flywheels/ clutches, injection pumps, injectors, turbos, intercoolers and exhaust gas recirculation valves on diesels that I'm starting to wonder if overall running costs might actually be cheaper for petrol-engined cars.
There are plenty that return 35-40mpg and they are usually about 15 per cent cheaper than diesel counterparts of similar age. I'd rethink on that basis.

Sponsored Links
Back