Diesel has gone up again..........

We just bought a new (ish) car..while we were looking arounf a guy at a dealership said its easy to get sucked into this diesel thing..you have to consider how long you intend to keep the car, the milage you do and the age/millage of the car against the extra cost of buying a diesel..it made sense

We ended up buying a petrol vectra, 5 years old with 12k on the clock for 6 grand (5 including out old saab which was only worth about 300 quid)

We were looking at diesels...avansis, mondeos, vectras...for the same money but they all had 80+ milage on them...remember thats not just the engine that everything thats done the milage.

Sponsored Links
Are vectras ok now? wouldn't have been given one a few yrs ago.

We were looking at diesels...avansis, mondeos, vectras...for the same money but they all had 80+ milage on them...remember thats not just the engine that everything thats done the milage.

80,000 is nothing, just run in, true, everything else has done the milage, but diesels are built slightly more solid, i think you made a mistake.

We just bought a new (ish) car..while we were looking arounf a guy at a dealership said its easy to get sucked into this diesel thing..you have to consider how long you intend to keep the car, the milage you do and the age/millage of the car against the extra cost of buying a diesel..it made sense

We ended up buying a petrol vectra, 5 years old with 12k on the clock for 6 grand (5 including out old saab which was only worth about 300 quid)

Well Honest John would appear to concur with your choice, Zampa. If you have the 2.2 16v do note what he says about snapped timing-belts (possibly due to due to dirty oil through prolonged service intervals). Other than that it's petrol engines all the way. Here is the Vectra review in full. ;)

Sponsored Links
Are vectras ok now? wouldn't have been given one a few yrs ago.

80,000 is nothing, just run in, true, everything else has done the milage, but diesels are built slightly more solid, i think you made a mistake.

Engine wise yes..but because its a diesel doesnt mean the brakes, gear box, steering, clutch etc are going to be more durable..

Plus the interiors..id rather a seat that has been sat on for 12k than 80..

Allthough to be honest I think we would have gone down this route had the one we have now not have turned up and locally.

I must admit to you though at some point it has had serious problems with the springs, included in the paper work was a bill for replacing two springs, and we have just put it back in under warrenty to have another done.

Morrisons doncaster selling diesel for 114.9 this afternoon. Filled up before they match the Shell over t'road at 117.9 :(

Drove down to Exmouth today, saw £1.24 per litre at village near Honiton!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder if the lorry drivers will try and blockade again?...its strange how diesel has gone up so much since the last time they did it, and yet they have said/done nothing.

I wonder if the government have struck a secret deal with them?

When the Tories were in my father always used to say 'they'l be a general strike in this country soon you watch' whenever his fags went up 5 pence.....ok as we all know it never happened, but would would happen if everyone said **** it..im not going to work until they sort the fuel out?...

They bosses couldnt sack everyone, hopefully they would be out too.

The lorry drivers dispute brought the country to its knees in 5 days..ok so they will bring the riot squad police in to fracture a few skulls..then the troops will get the fuel through...but if on one is buying it then it will have the same effect.

Surely something will snap soon?

At my local garage (BP) diesel was 117.9 on Friday today its 120.9 surely it can't keep going up at this rate, who is controlling it tax rises used to be announced in the budget and everyone would queue up on budget day to fill up, prices rises now seem to be on weekly basis, is it the raw material price or tax.
In old measurements it works out £5.48 a gallon, won't be long before its £6 a gallon at this rate.
Why are there no fuel price protests? Haulage companies must be spending a fortune every week, with some artics doing about 7 miles to the gallon, and it will end up being passed on to us the customer

I've been pointing out for years that the oil supply will no-longer keep up with demand. We've seen it coming for decades. Prices will continue to rise. Did you really expect the Chinese and Indians to ride bikes and live like peasants for ever?

Its the 1.8 Andy...to be honest a bit under poweed for the size of the car...but I get a return of 40-45 on a run.

Not bad for a petrol.

Yeh, but we're only buying them as it's the green thang to do. Oh and that wonderful over-taxing that goes on over here.

Sponsored Links
Back