Dimmer switch search

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a dimmer switch - it's 4-gang 1-way, but I want one laid out like this:

dimmer2.jpg

What's more, I want it to be a white MK Logic, and they don't do one.

So does anybody know of makes of dimmer where the works are held on to the plate with a nut round the body of the potentiometer? Preferably one with a low minimum rating so I can use CFLs.

My plan is to get 2 x 2-gang or 4 x 1-gang ones, remove the gubbins and fit them to an MK blanking plate with 4 holes drilled in it.

Sponsored Links
AP636.JPG

+

2x

MKK3632.JPG

+

2x

MKK3702.JPG

+

4 x

MKK4501.JPG

or 2 x

VL22.JPG

and fit at 90 degs to normal left right.

I know there be a slight gap between the units, but the back box does come with 4 point tags, so you can fit sideways.

The alto ones from WF un -nut and are guite compact, they are made by GET
The 400watt is 60watt minimum load though

A couple of ugly solutions
;)

My current switch is done the way I propose (i.e. I did the same to get what I wanted).

Has been perfectly OK, and as I took care to position the holes accurately you'd never know it wasn't made like that.

But after 20+ years it's on the blink (literally).

Sponsored Links
If the front plate is still serviceable, why not just buy some dimmer modules a drop them into the existing?

If the front plate is still serviceable, why not just buy some dimmer modules a drop them into the existing?
1) It's not, as it has a small crack, and anyway it's not MK Logic

2) I'd still need to know which switches have the works held on by the pot nut and not, for example, rivited to the plate.

4 gang dimmer??? Obviously your energy efficiency concerns only apply to other people
Is there any point asking you to provide a rational and logical explanation for that accusation, i.e. in what way does a 4 gang dimmer mean that I don't have energy concerns about my lighting?

another example of your dishonesty.
I am not dishonest, and you have no evidence based reason for saying that.

It is an unjustified personal attack, and I would like you to retract it.

Nobody needs 4 dimmers in one room in a normal house, and your house is very normal. Therefore you have no concerns about inefficient lighting use in your own home. But you berate others about their inefficient lighting schemes.
So you don't think that having the lights in a room 8-9m x 3-4m on 4 switches, so that the state of them can be adjusted to suit requirements is an efficient idea?

You think it would be more efficient if I had fewer switches, and therefore had to have more lights on, or some lights at a greater brightness, than I do now?

Would you please explain how that would be more efficient?

You were recently boasting about how you had defrauded an insurance company by taking longer than necessary to complete some work.
Don't lie.

The Varilight dimmers have removable modules, so can be used in a custom faceplate. They also make ones with vey low minimum loading specifically for CFLs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back