dirty tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
he working inside the consumer unit

Not illegal at all, in itself. Of course, if the unnecessary replacement of the RCD had been for real and not just a set-up for the show, then it would constitute fraud.

Sponsored Links
no worries, just wondering they broke gas safty regs earlyier in the show.
he fixs gas leak and etheir does a tightness test or does something worse
just turns the gas on. I reality what they should done is turn gas off and ring trasco

I am not going to bicker over trivialities over part p, part p is just not about a paragraph in an approved document.
Indeed not - in fact Part P is not an approved document and does not refer to one.

It's about compliance.
Part P is not about compliance - it does not describe anything to do with compliance - it is a requirement.

I never said there was a qualification, I said you didn't need one!
But in saying you don't need one you accept the notion that one exists - don't you see that?

Well you said there was no such thing as one and I offered you a link to disprove that, whether they understand English or not.
That link did not disprove it - that link was to a site which is wrong.

[EDIT]Typo corrected[/EDIT]

no worries, just wondering they broke gas safty regs earlyier in the show.
he fixs gas leak and etheir does a tightness test or does something worse
just turns the gas on. I reality what they should done is turn gas off and ring trasco
You don't actually have any grasp of what that programme is about, or what they do in it, do you?

well they try and show how trades men could rip you off
but the way they do it is like blanket bad publicity for all of us

They fake it - there wasn't a real gas leak, so how could they have broken any gas regulations?

just a quicky can you fit a consumer unit with out part p and be member of registered body?
Yes, but ...
Fitting a consumer unit is notifiable work. Someone who is member of an appropriate registered persons scheme can do the work and self certify the work, meaning you don't have to notify LABC (Local Authority Building Control).
You can do notifiable work yourself, but you must notify LABC in advance and pay their fees. Round my way (SLDC), they get round them not being able to charge you for inspections by the cunning trick of having two prices. If you can provide the right test results then their fee for minor electrical works is £150 :eek:, if you can't (ie they have to get someone in to do it) then they charge £225 (ie an extra £75). In practice, it's going to be cheaper to get a qualified (and registered) spark in to do the work than to go the BC route. Find the right spark, and persuade him of your abilities, and you should be able to manage an equitable division of labour - ie you doing the grunt work of chasing out walls etc, and him doing the technical stuff.
this not for me, it about rather anouying tv programme called dirty tricks of the trade
As already pointed out, just because it's inside a consumer unit doesn't automatically make it notifiable work. Replacing fittings is expressly allowed, as is replacing single cables and protective devices. So it's perfectly legal to replace (eg) a failed RCD with another of the same characteristics.

The fact that the RCD in the program hadn't failed is a different matter altogether.

For what you are expressly allowed to do, the bible is Schedule 4 of the Building Regs - there's quite a lot you can do.

Replacing fittings is expressly allowed, as is replacing single cables and protective devices. So it's perfectly legal to replace (eg) a failed RCD with another of the same characteristics.

There's nothing which specifically restricts the replacement to being one of the same characteristics even. The cable replacement exemption is also for replacing a cable "for a single circuit," however one wishes to interpret that. These and similar points were debated in this thread recently:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=286025

Replacing fittings is expressly allowed, as is replacing single cables and protective devices. So it's perfectly legal to replace (eg) a failed RCD with another of the same characteristics.

There's nothing which specifically restricts the replacement to being one of the same characteristics even.
True, but (without going and looking it up again), there's mention in places along the lines of "as long as protective measures aren't affected". If you fitted an RCD of different characteristics, then there's a question as to whether the protective measures are affected (not adversely IMO if it's faster/more sensitive) - so if you don't have the knowledge/skills to do the assessment then it's simpler to stick to like-for-like even if a strict interpretation doesn't require it. But since it's not easy (as in someone who doesn't know what they are doing is unlikely to find one by accident) to find anything but a 30mA/30ms RCD then it's a fairly moot point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back